#2 Unnamed Utility Knife

DBAR

Well, I finished up my 2nd knife tonight. I still need to come up with a makers mark, and a sheath.

This one didn't go as planned and turned out a lot different than I had envisioned. I first planned on a full height grind, and ended up doing a Convex Saber grind. I will definitely be wanting to use some thinner stock. This 3/16" stuff is too thick. When I make this knife again, I'll use thinner stock and make the handle a little longer with a lanyard tube.

Here's the specs on this one.

6.5" OAL
2.75" cutting edge
O1 tool steel, heat treated to 60/61 RC
Maroon Linen Micarta & Kevlar matte finish with natural linen micarta, & black paper micarta spacers, & Black G10 liners.
1 Carbon fiber pin, and 2 brass pins.

I took the flats to 400 grit, and left the bevel belt finished with a scotch brite belt.

#2 utility knife.jpg

Comments welcome.

EDIT: I was wondering about polishing the micarta? I was also wondering if you guys would buff the blade if you where in my shoes? I was wondering if a good buff might make the blade less prone to scratches? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:
Don, this is a fantastic second knife. I nominated you for 'Best New Builder' in the knifedogs member's choice awards for this knife.

It's very clean and has a great eye catching interesting look to it. I like the lines of it and the materials it's made from. It has a nice profile that looks well thought out with crisp, defined and deliberate lines.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd leave the finish you have on the handle and blade. I like the more satin look vs. the high gloss look that buffing would leave.

Thanks for the very kind words John. It means a lot to hear them coming from a guy like you. I don't plan to change anything about this knife. At least, not until I make it again that is. It's just that I'm still very new to all of this knife making, and I'll second guess my self for a while. I went with my 1st instinct, and then sat around for a couple of hours before I took a picture wondering if I should do this, or that, but in the end, my life experience told me to leave it the way it is. Of course when I made this thread, I had to ask.

EDIT: Wow John, I'm flattered about the nomination for "Best New Builder". Thank You Sir.

Thank You,

Don

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony. Here's a few more pics. Some are obviously WIP pics.

#2 UTILITY KNIFE1.jpgIMG_0327.jpgIMG_0319.jpgIMG_0332.jpg

Thanks,

Don

I like it, the carbon fiber pin with the maroon micarta is a nice combo, also like how the blade slants up after the handle I assume for a better thumb forward grip.

Back