2 x 72 belt similar to wet/dry sandpaper

C Craft

I was doing some hand sanding on a piece the other day in the shop and it was not removing the scratches well until I reached over and grabbed my bottle of cutting oil I use when threading and WOW, the difference was like night and day! I had all the scratches buffed out in short while!

This is what made me think of that belt I remembered seeing on KenH's grinder when I was at his shop recently. I am kind of picking my brain here because at the time I failed to ask but, I remember seeing a belt on his 2x72 grinder that looked a lot like wet/dry sandpaper used in the automotive trade!

So here are some questions that have came to mind on this subject.

Do they make a belt that is like the wet/dry sandpaper?

Who handles them and what are they called?

Can you get them in various grits like the wet/dry up to 2000 or so??

Has anyone ever used one on a grinder with a oil as a lubricant, and what were your results??

SC belts are like wet/dry. I use Mobil One 5W40 as my lube for all my sanding of metal. This oil seems to float the stuff off the belt instead of blocking it up. Belt last longer and cut better for me when using it. I also use it when hand sanding instead of windex.

Not to thread jack but when I was working in steel fab there was a coolant solution that was water soluable and it floated all the steel dust off. Wouldn't it be possible to integrate the same setup on a grinder?

Hmmmm, I wonder what belt I had on the 2X72 at the time? I don't have any of those SC belts, but many of the standard 2X72 belts will work wet just fine. I've watched videos of a few folks who have rigged up a misting equip on their 2X72 grinder. I'm sure it'd work good for cooling the blade, but just seems like it'd make a good mess in shop.

For hand sanding I use Rhynowet Redline paper, and also mostly use that for disk sander. When on disk grinder, I always use that dry, but hand sanding I'll use Windex, Mobile-One motor oil, water, etc.

Later

Ken I don't know what the belt was cause I failed to ask but, I remember when you were showing me the VS you had on your grinder seeing the belt. It was very thin and kind of reminded me of a wet/dry piece of paper. The thickness of the belt was what caught my eye to begin with.
It almost looked as if the belt had been used either with a shot of water or possibly oil. I started to ask you but got side tracked on something else. The use of the cutting oil in my own experience was what brought the belt back to mind. And since I didn't ask at the time I was curious to know if someone made a belt similar to the wet/dry paper!

Walt,I got a feeling any belt you used on a 2X72 and used a lube or water to facilitate the cut would me a very messy situation!!!! Basically you are flooding the wheel you are cutting at and even at a crawl is sounds like a big mess.
I have seen set-ups in videos of a guy wet grinding on what looked to be a 2x72 grinder and they guy operating it had a rubberized apron on and it looked as if there were a plenty of mess to go around! The resulting cut/polishing might be worth it but, you would pretty much have to have one grinder set up for this purpose only, cause cleaning the grinder up every time after using would be a PITA!

I know when hand sanding I have tried both oil and water with the wet/dry paper and it seems to improve the cut and floats off the particles, however even hand sanding tends to be messy, but the results are good!

Last edited:
Hmm I always use WD 40 hand sanding,I wonder if cutting fluid would work better not that I've had a problem with WD40 .It would have to work substantially better at the cost of good cutting fluid.

C Craft it was a band saw for metal cutting. It would be messy on a sander because of the wheel and fluid. I discovered your nose and eye wont itch using the grinder or saw but 2 min into hand sanding at 400 grit it itches and now you have a black smudge on your nose or by your eye.

The J flex belts from trugrit are close to wet dry sand paper. I use then in 120 and 150 to get ready for final sanding.

Hmm I always use WD 40 hand sanding,I wonder if cutting fluid would work better not that I've had a problem with WD40 .It would have to work substantially better at the cost of good cutting fluid.

AK,
The grinding & cutting fluid that I've used in a mister bottle on my 2 x 72 is call Accucool By Angler.

The stuff is biodegradable and when I called the company about 3-4 years back they sent me a gallon of it, No Charge. I don't use it very often because it makes a huge mess, only for very thin blades I'm grinding post HT. I dilute it 3-4 to one with water in a squirt bottle when I use it. I've used it with ceramic belts. Haven't use it with J-Flex, which the Hermes brand are the ones I buy.

http://www.anglerindustries.com/ProductInfo/AccuCool3000SS.html

Back