2013 Knife Making Progress

Dirty side? LOL.
Your shop is far to clean! Get out there and grind till there is dust on every ledge and that white paint becomes eggshell brown!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

It is about that time, Laurence. The air filtration system is installed and I don't have to work tomorrow. It might be a long night with the new grinder. I can't take looking at it anymore.

2013Progress002_zps4b79c3db.jpg

2013Progress003_zps9bf3423e.jpg

Dont get rid of that Craftsman grinder Steven, I use mine for all kinds of quick grinding chores. Even with a worn belt it is handy for minor things.

ShOp is looking Good bro.

Thanks Mikey! It is finally coming together.

Dont get rid of that Craftsman grinder Steven, I use mine for all kinds of quick grinding chores. Even with a worn belt it is handy for minor things.

I am trying to figure out what to do with it. I was thinking of putting it on the bench with the bandsaw and just moving it closer to the door when being used, or keeping it set up in the shed for miscellaneous things. I have so many belts for it that I was thinking of selling a few of them. Now that I have a 2x72, it probably won't get used that often. I kind of went overboard on the belt buying.

Steven,
These are small point's, But I would move your finer grit belts diagonally to the wall on the other end of the opposite bench in the shop so the heavy grit & ceramic doesn't get kicked on to them and give you problems with finishing. Also watch for any cutting oil you might use on the drill press getting spun on to the belts.

Other than those points you look good to go!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Very good tips Laurence and thank you. I didn't think about that. I don't use any oil when drilling so I don't need to worry about that but moving the belts is a great idea.

Finally have my maker's mark on a blade. Here is my second made knife all cleaned up and ready to be tested tomorrow. I marked it three times, screwing it up, having to start over. Fourth try was the ticket except for a little marking on the ricasso. At first I had a very faint mark due to not having enough electrolyte on the pad. Second and third try were too much electrolyte and not enough protection around the stencil. Fourth try went good except for a faint line on the ricasso. Sanded it out but there are some j hooks near the front of the handle. Lessons learned...

2013Progress009_zps7bfc127d.jpg

2013Progress006_zps11ec2b59.jpg

2013Progress007_zps8284313c.jpg

i love watching steps for the better in everyones work . Cant wait to see whats next .. Ive never made a damascus knife until this past week i made my first . Im hoping to get it done by end of week . Just like your learning how to etch your mark on the blade , Im going through bumps on finishing bolsters and handle scales while mounted to blade and then re etching the spine and bottom spine to show damascus. I never had to worry about that before and still dont know if im doing it right. Its all good , I love the challanges and I love watching your work grow for the better every post . Keep up the good work !

Looks like the shop is coming along fine! I'm digging it! That makers mark is looking good as well. When do you think you'll have a few knives to sell?

Nicely done!

Thanks Eric!

i love watching steps for the better in everyones work . Cant wait to see whats next .. Ive never made a damascus knife until this past week i made my first . Im hoping to get it done by end of week . Just like your learning how to etch your mark on the blade , Im going through bumps on finishing bolsters and handle scales while mounted to blade and then re etching the spine and bottom spine to show damascus. I never had to worry about that before and still dont know if im doing it right. Its all good , I love the challanges and I love watching your work grow for the better every post . Keep up the good work !

If it wasn't for this forum and all of you talented guy's kindness, I wouldn't know what to do. Good luck with your damascus adventure. Hope you get it worked out. I have never even thought about the points you made about re-etching. Things like that are what I love about working on a knife. The possibilities are endless, never leaving you with a dull moment. There are so many things to learn that this hobby could never get old.

Thank you for the kind words Mikey!

Looks like the shop is coming along fine! I'm digging it! That makers mark is looking good as well. When do you think you'll have a few knives to sell?

Thanks Don. I feel that I am finally getting the grinding down. Your tips helped tremendously. I have quite a few knives on the bench right now. Some have new homes when completed and some don't. I am thinking that within a few months I will start selling a few, once I can get everything down and test a few.

A very nice maker invited me to his shop this past weekend and I learned more than I could have ever imagined. He answered all of my stupid questions and we pretty much spent the whole day talking knives. He showed me quite a few things and when I left, I felt that I had known him for years. The kindness of knife makers has blown me away. Thank you Stan for taking the time to have me over and for all of the tips, tricks and answers you so kindly offered.

The shop is pretty much complete. The tools on the peg boards will move as I get some time in there and really see where they work best. I have always enjoyed doing things like this. Now that it is all done, the really fun work can start. I feel very blessed to be able to have the new shop and everything else I have for that matter. Even though it is small, it feels comfy and should be a blast to work in.

Here is what has been waiting for me to get all set up...
2013Progress001_zps440b3e99.jpg

My little buffer. It was taking up too much real estate on the stand. I am also going to sew up a few muslin bags to cover the wheels...
2013Progress002_zps02bde97a.jpg

Still a lot of room on the pegboard...
2013Progress003_zps8a962035.jpg

2013Progress004_zpsd00c0e03.jpg

This bench will be rolled to the double doors when I need to use the bandsaw...
2013Progress005_zps95eb892e.jpg

2013Progress006_zpsb55cabc8.jpg

Layout area. with granite surface plate...
2013Progress007_zps64eb82fc.jpg

I want to figure out a better way to where I can hang the bucket instead of putting it on a chair...
2013Progress009_zps4ed717f8.jpg

Well, that's it. Time to get to grinding :biggrin:...

Enjoyed haveing you out.Get those edges ground down and We will get them H/Ted.Then you can start putting them together.
Shop looks good.Not near dirty enough.Next time you come out I'll send a couple of buckets of steel dust with you to spread around:biggrin:

Stan

Enjoyed haveing you out.Get those edges ground down and We will get them H/Ted.Then you can start putting them together.
Shop looks good.Not near dirty enough.Next time you come out I'll send a couple of buckets of steel dust with you to spread around:biggrin:

Stan

Well, I really enjoyed it Stan. I can't thank you enough!

I got one ready tonight...

2013Progress013_zps1cd1f81c.jpg

Very good tips Laurence and thank you. I didn't think about that. I don't use any oil when drilling so I don't need to worry about that but moving the belts is a great idea.

Steven,
You will need to use some cutting oil down the road when you need to drill hardened steel with Carbide drill bits to fix a hole your missed or when the steel shrinks in Cryo and the bolts/Pins won't quite go thru the tang.

I had that one happen when I used a old drill bit that must have been worn?
When the blades came back from Buck Knives the loveless bolts would fit thru the tang. I had to redrill about 60 holes with a Carbide drill bit & oil.

Your mark is looking good!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Steven,
You will need to use some cutting oil down the road when you need to drill hardened steel with Carbide drill bits to fix a hole your missed or when the steel shrinks in Cryo and the bolts/Pins won't quite go thru the tang.

I had that one happen when I used a old drill bit that must have been worn?
When the blades came back from Buck Knives the loveless bolts would fit thru the tang. I had to redrill about 60 holes with a Carbide drill bit & oil.

Your mark is looking good!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I had this problem on 440C. After heat treat, my loveless bolts wouldn't fit. I have been wondering why that happened and now it makes sense. Thanks Laurence!

I am very happy with the mark. Glad I went with the flat bottom instead of an oval shape. I am not sure why I was nervous about testing it. The machine is a breeze to use and only takes a few minutes to attach the stencil and be all cleaned up.

I do have a question about marking, if anyone can answer. Can you reuse the etch pads, and if so, how do you store them?

hey steven, i made it over! backwoodsamerican. thanks for the heads up this place rocks!

Awesome! Glad to see you over here. This place is definitely the best website for anything that has to do with knife making. You will learn a huge amount of information and meet some wonderful people along the way.

Got another one fixed. I was having one of those days in the shop today so I had to call it quits for the day. I just kept having problems. Tomorrow will be better...

2013Progress002_zps9fa125fd.jpg

problems ?? I know a lot about those days !Lol. Tomorrow is another day bro . Your right about that !

Back