2013 Relay For Life Donation/Fundraiser Knife

GrizzlyKnives

Hey folks. Just thought I would share a piece I just finished. This knife and sheath was donated as a fundraiser item for the 2013 Relay For Life event in Metropolis, IL. This is, by far, one of my best knives yet.

Here is the rundown:

Blade: Jantz Pattern #31 in D2 with their satin finish. These Jantz Pattern blades are top notch. They are ground in house at their facility in Oklahoma, not imported. This is the 4th blade I have used from their in-house line up and I was not disappointed. I do believe they sent me a peened finish blade mistakenly though, as the finish is unlike the last satin finish blade I ordered. Size: 7 5/8" long, 3" blade, 5/32" thick. Beautiful light grey textured finish and razor sharp from the package.

Handle Scales: California Buckeye Burl. This was a set of scales that I received from Mark @ BurlSource as part of his free knifemaker's pack he gave out a while back. There was some choice sets of scales in that pack, but none of the burls were stabilized. So, I had to do my own stabilizing, so to speak. Multiple coats of thin CA glue make up the finish on these scales. Sanded and hand polished. I added a few coats of Formby's Low Gloss tung oil to bring the shine down just a shade. The scales are tapered back to front from 3/8" at the butt to about 3/16" at the front.

Pins: Brass and Stainless Steel Gatling pins in 1/4" diameter with a 1/4" brass thong tube, chamfered ends.

Sheath: 8/9oz veg tan shoulder from Springfield Leather. Dyed black borders with natural center that has been tooled and antiqued. Hand sewn. Resolene and neutral shoe polish finish.

This knife was a joy to build and I sincerely hope it brings a good bit of money to donate to this event.

Hope you enjoy the photos...

IMAG0016_zps56166598.jpg

IMAG0017_zps17d1ed35.jpg

IMAG0015_zps65614bf6.jpg

IMAG0012_zps43c2246c.jpg

IMAG0011_zps6e9b7534.jpg

Back