26C3 Hamon attempt w/ New Pics

That’s going to be a nice Hamon. I just order two batches of the steel - the thinner selection and the thicker selection offered by AKS. Looking forward to see how it handles. Your post is encouraging.

That’s going to be a nice Hamon. I just order two batches of the steel - the thinner selection and the thicker selection offered by AKS. Looking forward to see how it handles. Your post is encouraging.
I was looking at it this morning....but I wanted some feedback, so , opaul, it's now on you for a full report.

Decided to leave hamon as is (wife decide for me as she has claimed another).
My version of a hybrid Santoku with Wa handle. First image in ugly duckling stage.
20190521_093016-816x459.jpg
African Blackwood and K&G stabalized Maple, leaving the handle flat/satin finish.20190521_111259-734x1305.jpg

Looks nice Dan. I checked the specs on that steel. It gets hard. Is it air or oil hardened. What did you do for tempering. Can you check hardness?

AKS is recommending Parks 50 for it. That blade is RC 64 on my little portable hardness tester. I really like this steel.

Edit to add; Sorry, didn't see the question regarding tempering. 385* for two hours twice.

Last edited:
What do you have for a hardness tester? I always get the bad look when I bring a blade in to test. It would be nice to have one that doesn't cost a ton.

I watched ebay for a used Ames model, ended up with a PHR model, a clone of the Ames. These little testers have the same range of accuracy as the benchtop models.
I had wanted the larger Wilson benchtop model but never saw any of the $500 deals I read about. The PHR's can be had new for just over $600.

Back