2nd Knife Attempt Take 1

I use 1/8'' drill bits for 1/8'' pin stock. I do have to turn down my pins a hair. I do that by putting them in my drill press and sanding or filing them.

I currently use 1/8'' in all my knives.

Hi Ernie,

What size chamfer bit do you use? Does it matter? Do you chamfer all your holes, or just the ones for the handle?

Jeff

Ahhhhhh...oooooohhhhhh...and here I thought I would have to buy chamfer bits as well as countersinks. So Ernie, did you get the expensive Cobalt drill bits or are you just using the HSS steel bits on your knives? If you were to buy just a few single bits, what sizes do you find that you use the most?

Thanks Ernie. I'm finding as I am making it farther along this time in the knife making process, I have new questions for things that I didn't have to consider before.

Jeff

Ahhhhhh...oooooohhhhhh...and here I thought I would have to buy chamfer bits as well as countersinks. So Ernie, did you get the expensive Cobalt drill bits or are you just using the HSS steel bits on your knives? If you were to buy just a few single bits, what sizes do you find that you use the most?

Thanks Ernie. I'm finding as I am making it farther along this time in the knife making process, I have new questions for things that I didn't have to consider before.

Jeff

I just buy the Cobalt's from USA Knife Maker Supply.

I all I have for regular drill bits are, 1/16'' for leather, 3/32'', 1/8'' and 1/4''

you do leather too??!!! How much of an investment in tools and materials is there to get started with that? Sorry to be taking up your time with my questions:unsure:

Jeff

I got some of my tools given to me.
Tracy has all the tools and leather at USA Knife Maker Supply under the sheath making supplies tab.

Its not too expensive to start.
I really like working with leather!!

The shiv is lookin' good there, Jeff! I did a double-take on your granite, looks suspiciously like the slab on my bench...
For pins, I am really leaning towards flared tubing for modern-style knives, although I have used screws and threaded inserts for the last few knives I have actually finished. Tubes provide integral lanyard attatchment, are cheap, lightweight, and about as permanent/secure as anything you can use. I like 3/16" or 1/4" pins/tubes over 1/8" unless the larger holes will compromise the strength of the tang.

Hi Justin,

Those size pins won't look huge on the handle of the knife? How many pins would you use on average in the handle? I know some people also use them for aesthetic purposes, but I'm talking about what's need for strength and integrity purposes.

Thanks,

Jeff

The shiv is lookin' good there, Jeff! I did a double-take on your granite, looks suspiciously like the slab on my bench...
For pins, I am really leaning towards flared tubing for modern-style knives, although I have used screws and threaded inserts for the last few knives I have actually finished. Tubes provide integral lanyard attatchment, are cheap, lightweight, and about as permanent/secure as anything you can use. I like 3/16" or 1/4" pins/tubes over 1/8" unless the larger holes will compromise the strength of the tang.

I usually use 3 pins/screws, and good-quality epoxy. On a narrow grip smaller pins might look better, but if the pins look to big visually against the width of the grip then the hole size might also be compromizing the tang strength, so if they seem to big to you then by all means use smaller ones.

Back