2nd Knife Attempt Take 1

James,

Thanks for the advice, and God knows I don't expect you to remember, but I don't have a grinder!:D I am purely old school manually filing away...filing away...filing away...:( But, I'm pretty proud of my profile so far! It actually has some flow, rather than just straight lines.

Thanks,

Jeff

Looking OK Jeff , Bring it all to Mystic . Including blade #1 and file guide . Bring your How to make Knives book also .

Looking OK Jeff , Bring it all to Mystic . Including blade #1 and file guide . Bring your How to make Knives book also .

Bill, my file guide broke again, so it is literally in pieces!!! Do you still want me to bring it?

Jeff

Bring anything you use , whether it is broken or not . This way we can show you how to work with the tools you have . My first file guide was just a "C" clamp . Bring the book so we can make notes in it for you . Help is on the way !!!!!!!! Bill

Nice profile Jeff. Knife 2 really is shaping up nicely. Okay, how to fix plunge lines to the spine...gotta thin the blade but it can be done. Yours looks very fixable, I've got lots of knives in the corners of the shop that are MUCH worse than that!!!! I remember when Mace told me that the really good knifemakers still make mistakes, they just know how to fix them. We will get you squared away this weekend. Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I'm really looking forward to this weekend, I'm like a kid in a candy store...A really big kid! Between you, Bill, and anyone else who wants to give advise, I hope to go home with ideas on how to fix these knives. Maybe as a bonus, a way to make my broken file guide work again. I won't be able to do anything more on the knife if I don't get that fixed or squared away somehow.

See ya Saturday morning Kevin,

Jeff

Jeff I dont mean to sound pushy but man get going. I glued up 11 knives today and im crippled seriously. I also finished off another knife . you need to let these little obstacles fall aside and give her crap. Take a piece of scrap steel with a straight edge and finish it. I have never had one bit of help from anyone in person although ide love for someone to mentor me in person in their shop but im dreaming. Ive had dozens and I do mean dozens of people help guide me to a better end result. The biggest hurdle for you I think is practice and the more knives you do the better youll get. I know and remeber how badly it sucks to not have power tools it just takes longer in the finishing end of it.

Jeff I dont mean to sound pushy but man get going. I glued up 11 knives today and im crippled seriously. I also finished off another knife . you need to let these little obstacles fall aside and give her crap. Take a piece of scrap steel with a straight edge and finish it. I have never had one bit of help from anyone in person although ide love for someone to mentor me in person in their shop but im dreaming. Ive had dozens and I do mean dozens of people help guide me to a better end result. The biggest hurdle for you I think is practice and the more knives you do the better youll get. I know and remeber how badly it sucks to not have power tools it just takes longer in the finishing end of it.

Well said HG!!!! I couldnt agree more. I have been learning myself as well. Not to say I couldnt get off my lazy butt and drive down to Bill Coye's or any of the other awesome makers that surround me. But, I am just loving it all. So I try my best and hope I get better every blade I work on.

Jeff,

Get you two pieces 0-1, 1095 or whatever you have. cut two 1/4"-1/2" pieces make sure they are square. Then drill two holes through both ends/pieces of the steel and use bolts to tighten it down. This is what I did before getting Freds clamp. It was a horrid looking thing but kept me lined up just fine.

I know all about frustration. Its what we have to go through to get better and will always be there waiting to test you. I have been grinding with a half powered Coote.....only because I have yet to wire up real power to my shop. It has been VERY frustrating but I refuse to let it get the best of me. Just keep truckin on brother....it gets better, trust me...LOL I am living proof. If something doesnt work right.....try something different or find a way thats easiest for you and run with it. This is our learning curve and just makes the next steps easier down the road. I am getting ready to get my next grinder....and well...I learned with what I had, now it will be a little less frustrating working with the new grinder....powered right! Baby steps is what is needed.

As rookies, we just have to learn from our mistakes. I make them several times on each blade. But learning how to fix them and learn from them is how we grow.

Keep it up buddy2thumbs Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!

Chris

Jeff I dont mean to sound pushy but man get going.

Can't argue with that. We all need a kick in the pants sometimes. Jeff, you better bring some donuts or beers to share when you go to that hammer-in, I bet those fellas will teach you a lot ;) Wish I was going with you!

...I try my best and hope I get better every blade I work on...
...I know all about frustration. Its what we have to go through to get better and will always be there waiting to test you...
...I refuse to let it get the best of me. Just keep truckin on brother...
...As rookies, we just have to learn from our mistakes. I make them several times on each blade. But learning how to fix them and learn from them is how we grow.

Very well said! Just think how lucky we are, that when us new guys get to bangin' our heads against the wall, the pros here chuckle and pat us on the shoulder and give us tips that help.

I have a lot more knife-shaped-objects than I do finished knives, believe me. Like Chris and Jeff, I refuse to give up and try to learn a bit from my foul-ups. There's a lot worse ways to spend your time on this planet :)

Trust me Jeff, when you get one right and use it or sell it and get good feedback, it will make you strut like a rooster!! Then of course, you'll goof-up the next one and remember that you still have a lot to learn :D

Last edited:
LOL....if the pro's did not pat us on the back and tell us we are ok.....I think we would have problems. As newbs....we see every little flaw in the blade and try to compare it to what we see here on the forums. These guys are making high end custom knives....I speak for myself here....but my blades are garbage compared to what these guys are making. It is very inspiring and when one of them encourages you to keep going....its what fuels the fire my bro!!!

I had to LOL about the strutting.......Its almost like you get a nice one finally completed and then things go all wrong on the next one. Just when you think you have it...bam.....another slap in the face...hahaha

Can't argue with that. We all need a kick in the pants sometimes. Jeff, you better bring some donuts or beers to share when you go to that hammer-in, I bet those fellas will teach you a lot ;) Wish I was going with you!

Very well said! Just think how lucky we are, that when us new guys get to bangin' our heads against the wall, the pros here chuckle and pat us on the shoulder and give us tips that help.

I have a lot more knife-shaped-objects than I do finished knives, believe me. Like Chris and Jeff, I refuse to give up and try to learn a bit from my foul-ups. There's a lot worse ways to spend your time on this planet :)

Trust me, when you get one right and use it or sell it and get good feedback, it will make you strut like a rooster!! Then of course, you'll goof-up the next one and remember that you still have a lot to learn :D

I had to LOL about the strutting.......Its almost like you get a nice one finally completed and then things go all wrong on the next one. Just when you think you have it...bam.....another slap in the face...hahaha

Yup! That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Ok, Ernie, James, and HG and Chris since you chimed in, I have made some progress. I am pretty happy with it so far. It isn't perfect, but it isn't the first knife either. I'm just wondering what I should do at this point? I don't have a drill press, so I don't want to attempt to drill the tang yet. Should I hand sand it now, or does that happen after heat treat? Input is appreciated. You too HG and Chris, your involved now! Here are some poorly lit pic's:

002-14.jpg

002-14.jpg

004-12.jpg

003-13.jpg

Thanks Everyone,

Jeff

Looks to me like you got more draw filing to do.

When your bevel is the same height at the lowest point of your plunge then you can start hand sanding. In other words you do not want to see the plunge, you want the bevel to flow into it. Now it looks like the plunge is still deeper.

Also can you get a pic of the edge? It looks a little thick, but I cant really tell.

Ernie,

That's what I'm most worried about, it's almost razor thin!!! Give me 5 minutes and I'll have a pic of the edge

Jeff

Let me know if you need anymore! There is plenty more where that came from!!!

005-13.jpg

006-11.jpg

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats looking great buddy. Just keep cleaning it up and working your way through the grits. Watch Ernie's vid again and get that baby wooped.

I can only give you guys respect. I have a hard enough time on a 2x72" grinder. You guys do some amazing work.

Keep it up, Jeff2thumbs:D

Chris

Ok, Ernie, James, and HG and Chris since you chimed in, I have made some progress. I am pretty happy with it so far. It isn't perfect, but it isn't the first knife either. I'm just wondering what I should do at this point? I don't have a drill press, so I don't want to attempt to drill the tang yet. Should I hand sand it now, or does that happen after heat treat? Input is appreciated. You too HG and Chris, your involved now! Here are some poorly lit pic's:

002-14.jpg

002-14.jpg

004-12.jpg

003-13.jpg

Thanks Everyone,

Jeff

Quick question. It's important because it bears on what size pins to get, what size bits and so on. I know it generally depends on the size of the knife, but for the most part, do you have a particular size hole that you normally drill for handle material? I'd like to keep the holes the same size for each of my knives to keep it simple and standardized. I was thinking maybe 1/8"? Is that realistic?

thanks,

Jeff

Quick question. It's important because it bears on what size pins to get, what size bits and so on. I know it generally depends on the size of the knife, but for the most part, do you have a particular size hole that you normally drill for handle material? I'd like to keep the holes the same size for each of my knives to keep it simple and standardized. I was thinking maybe 1/8"? Is that realistic?

thanks,

Jeff

I use 1/8'' drill bits for 1/8'' pin stock. I do have to turn down my pins a hair. I do that by putting them in my drill press and sanding or filing them.

I currently use 1/8'' in all my knives.

Back