2x48 Radius Master belt grinder

Rey

Hey gentlemen, does anyone know someone who has this Radius Master and the good and bad about it? It has a high price of $2300 bucks with shipping. It is versatile and has everything for knifemaking. I'm just trying to make it easier for me for my knifemaking hobby. I'm 61yrs of age disabled nam veteran and I enjoy this hobby because, it keeps my mind busy instead of having bad images of the past war on my mind. I do know I asked about the NMG, Grizzly 2x72, 2x48 multitool, but you gents are all I can count on to help me on deciding. Thanks. Rey:confused:

Rey, the Radius Master is manufactured in Australia, I believe. You can probably find one for sale via ebay or through a google search. I do not know of any specific suppliers that carry it.

I'm not completely familiar with the grinder, but I believe it can fairly easily switch from vertical to horizontal. A horizontal grinder is something that comes in very nice for finishing edges among other things.

As for drawbacks, it's not going to have the versatility that a KMG or No-Weld Grinder has the potential for. With the tooling arm setup of these two machines, it's hard to beat what you can do with them. It's also a direct drive motor meaning that you don't have the option to slow it down. It's a 2 hp motor, so it's got the power, but it also runs at 3600 fpm. With the KMG or NWG, you can add step pullies in for multiple speeds, or you can opt for a full VFD speed control.

--nathan

That's a pretty good budget Rey. I'd take a look at a KMG, and not worry about building and fiddling. I'd rather use 2x72" belts than the shorter ones.

Good luck with it, Craig

Rey,

I am new to this as well. I started with a dinky little 2x42" belt grinder. It worked but was very frustrating.

All I can say is dont cut yourself short with buying anything less than a 2x72" grinder. Any of them will work.

With your budget though....I would have to agree that a KMG with all the bells and whistles would be money in the bank!!

Or you could always trick out a couple NWG's and if you budget them right have enough left over to buy some belts and materials2thumbs

Either way, just have fun and get what you think is best.

I vote KMG, NWG, or a Coote and buy as much materials as possible.

Best of luck to you.

Chris

I have one you can see some pics of it in my knife build off thread http://www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=3609 I got the variable speed version of it. Well worth the extra cash for variable speed. I can't comment on it vs a 2x72 belt grinder as I have never used one of those but there are some likes and dislikes I have about it.

Pros:
It is like having a vertical grinder and a horizontal grinder in one.
All the available wheels.
It's portable with the optional board.

Cons:
No work rest for the big wheel
The motor body can get in the way if you are hollow grinding (I have only been doing flat grinds so I am not sure about that)

There are a few other things I would like to change on mine. I would like to have a wrap around work rest so my work is supported past the belt. I have also found a couple of times that the body of the grinder on the left hand side has gotten in the way. It is where the work rest attaches in the photo below I think I could probably remove some of the grinder body there to make some more room though.

IMG_2090.JPG

I was considering the KMG as the other option when I got my grinder. The fact they don't ship to Australia made up my mind for me since I didn't want to make my own grinder. If I had of gotten one I would be after a horizontal grinder now so I am glad I went with the RadiusMaster.

Alistair

Radius master

Many thanks to you gents for your help. I will decide soon enough, however the 2x72 is favored more. Rey2thumbs

For the money I don't think you can beat a coot grinder. The basic grinder less motor is under $500.00. I bought one with a ten inch wheel a couple of years ago and am ready to order a six inch. I have a home built 2X42 we are phasing out because there are better options for 2X72 belts.

I started making with a Radius Master 4 yrs ago now and would not part with it even though I would now do 70% of my grinding on my variable speed KMG. The ability to flick it on its side, clip on the table and use the 3 small wheels, & the slack belt area is a huge plus. You can get 90% of the good belts in 2 x 48 to suit if you shop around. I get mine from Tru-Grit. If you were to order with variable speed, then it will do everything the others will do and more in a smaller package. The only real drawback is the difficulty to do hollow grinds but i dont do them anyway.
Cheers Bruce

Back