2x72grizzly?

Rey

I'm make knives for a hobby and my 2x42 works well for what I do. I have been looking at the grizzly2x72 for the price seems to be ok for my use. I mainly hog off steel the same as flat grinding and what do you gentlemen say to the grizzly & my 2x42 to take care of my hobby use only? Also, read that the grizzly has tracking problems but, there is always a solution to any problem. Advise needed, thanks Rey.

Rey, I have a Grizzly that I have used for several years and it sure beat working with a 1 x 30 HF. I think the biggest issue that you might want to address is the lack of variable speed on the Griz. Spencer Reiter (SAR Global Tools), who started with a Griz and sold it to me, likens it to grinding at mach 5 with your hair on fire.

So while I love my Griz (I've got a NWG that I built and a KMG now) it has some limits. For about the same amount of money you might do well to consider the Coote. You can set it up for variable speed with pulleys. Of course the other option is build your own NWG. Still in the same price range it offers the ability to upgrade and add attachments as you are ready.

Hope this helps.

I too have a Coote and would recommend that you at least give it a look. It is a bit more expensive but if you get a motor that spins at approx 1800 rpms you can put a step cone pulley system on it for a poor man's variable speed. As far as the Grizzly goes, it does have it's limitations but I met a smith that earned both his Journeyman's and Master's stamps with two of them.

Doug Lester

I started with a Grizz and made my first hundred knives on one. Grinding at Mach 5 with your hair on fire is maybe the best description I've ever heard.

There are 2 significant drawbacks to the Grizz.
1. It can't be slowed down and it goes pretty durn fast. I have thrown more than one knife across the room when I was using my Grizz. You get nearly done with a fair amount of time into a grind and then the slightest twist or jerk and you put a big divot in the blade. This will eventually drive you insane.
2. The motor gets in the way for doing hollow grinds unless you grind both sides of the blade on the same side of the machine.

It makes a great buffer though..Do what ever you can to get a 2"x72" with either step pulleys or variable speed. It may save your marriage...

I'm looking at buying my first 2" X 72" machine so I hope others will weigh in with their opinions about either of these machines or any others they might recommend.

My first grinder was a Grizzly. It is a pretty good grinder for the price. You still have to get some plywood to make the base and do some assembly. I was using it for general grinding, not knife work. It may work ok for you now but you will sooner or later want more power and flexability.

My suggestion is to get a copy of Tracy's plans, Order your parts from him and build your own. See if there is anyone down in south Texas who has built one so that you can see it. I would never have tried building a grinder if I had not seen Stephen Fowler's. Once I started building mine I was amazed how simple it was. I made a number of changes on mine, which I think are improvments. Didn't I send you a copy of my Build a Belt Grinder brochure. If not it is in my first post on KD. Look at it and get some ideas. You can build a grinder from the plans for close to what you can get a Grizzley for and have a much more versitile, useful machine....assuming you can get your materials a scrap or drops.

I built the 2 x 72 no weld grinder and dont regret it one bit.
The grinder has made making knives so much more enjoyable.
The variable speed and hollow grinding is what sold me on the nwg. Looking at the grizz it looks like a pain to hollow grind on with the motor in the way. Maybe a ten inch wheel would work?

Having the small wheel attachment is a benefit I didnt consider when buying the nwg but I use it on every single knife. Its a nice extra benefit.

I like Mach 5! I don't have much hair so I'm safe. I use a single speed Square Wheel grinder, which I believe runs around 5000 feet/minute. It works just fine.

Almost any 2x72 belt grinder is going to be an improvement over one with a smaller belt. A lot of people have the Grizzley grinders and like them. I've looked them over and believe that for a little more money you could get a Coot and a motor and be a lot better off. The motor on the Grizzley is directly mounted to the contact wheel and is in the way of your left hand. The Coot mounts the motor behind or below the grinder and is out of the way. If you don't like Mach 5 you can mount step pulleys on the Coot.

Just because you are a hobbyist doesn't mean you should get tools that are at the bottom end. You'll generally get what you pay for, so pay for something a little better as long as the kids don't starve.

David

Back