3M feathering adhesive

NickWheeler

Just a thumbs up/heads up for this stuff.

My friend Fitzo turned me onto the stuff in the tube. I ordered it from Tracy and have been using it for a couple months now. It is AWESOME.

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/3m-feathering-adhesive-5oz-tube-p-40.html

I squeeze a little on my 9" disc, spread it out, and I can apply a disc, use it, peel it off WITHOUT the paper sticking to anything, and then apply a different disc. The only thing that messes it up is putting a PSA disc over it, as it will pull the PSA off the sandpaper, lol.

With all the other sprays like the 3M 77 and what not, the discs are a bear to get off... they usually get torn up while removing them, and when you do get them off, they stick to everything (including the side of my garbage can!).

I read Karl Andersen uses the spray and gets it at Fastenal, but I tried our local stores and they couldn't even come up with an SKU to order it for me. As it turns out, I like the tube as I don't have to worry about over-spray.

So if you use a disc sander/grinder, do yourself a favor and try this stuff! 2thumbs

Nick,
Thanks for the tip. Waiting for UPS to show up with the motor for my disc grinder as I type. This kinda stuff really save us newbies alot of trial, error, and headache so thank you for posting.

Out of curiousity, do you glue cork or rubber to the disk as a backing for the paper ? This is an area I've seen all different suggestions so thought I'd ask your take on it.

Thanks again, Josh

A tip I got from Tracy: go to the dollar store and buy some cheap plastic place mats or "cutting mats". When you pull a disc off of the machine that still has some life in it, slap it on the mat and you can use it again later.

I don't use a backing, since I use pre-cut discs and they tend to be on heavier weight fabric than paper to begin with. I like the backing idea for using 9x11 paper sheets.

Last edited:
Nick, I've been using the spray for years on my sanding bars.
Sadly - (Karl weeps outloud) - 3M discontinued the Spray Disc Adhesive over a year ago.
I still have four cans, but when they're gone, I'll be using the Feathering disc adhesive.
Here's my heads-up on that - if you like it, BUY A CASE OR FIVE!!!
I have searched and searched and searched and searched ad infinitum and have found not one other adhesive that will do what these do.
It would be regretful if 3M chose to discontinue this for the same reason as the aeresol adhesive - whatever that was.
When it was first discontinued I got ahold of 3M and they told me it was OBSOLETE.
Maybe they feel the PSA discs will take over completely and they have no reason to produce this stuff anymore.

3M is under very intense pressure to improve their sustainability record. Any aerosol they could replace with a non-aerosol they did. This feathering adhesive was one of those changes. I prefer the spray myself but the tube stuff does the job too. I just grab any old scrap out of the trash can and spread it on.

I can NOT figure out why anyone would use PSA disc when this stuff is out there.

I use the 3m featering disc adhesive in the tube and like it also as you can pull it off put it aside change grits and come back to it later till its used up and it peels off easily. and I couldn't get the spray anymore. I really like this stuff and it would be a shame if they quite making it!

Back