3rd Slip Joint

So that means you heat treated after your final grind, right?
Have you found that you get any warping in the blade with that process?
Did you Cryo?
I did. I took the grind to 220 grit. I do the -10 degree in the freezer rather than cryo. No trouble warping.

I have a question, and this is in no way negative, it's just something I thought about. You are obviously way ahead of me in the folder realm so I figured I would ask. Your liners are brass and your pivot pin is brass. Both have friction contact with hardened steel. Are you worried that the brass will abrade away, leaving a side-to-side wobble in the blade over time? Again, just a question as I was thinking the design through; it may be a non-issue I just thought I would ask.

I have a question, and this is in no way negative, it's just something I thought about. You are obviously way ahead of me in the folder realm so I figured I would ask. Your liners are brass and your pivot pin is brass. Both have friction contact with hardened steel. Are you worried that the brass will abrade away, leaving a side-to-side wobble in the blade over time? Again, just a question as I was thinking the design through; it may be a non-issue I just thought I would ask.
It’s a good question and I think looking at vintage knives is an example of what you are talking about. Since I’m focusing on traditional right now that’s the way I’m building them. At some point I plan on using bushings. Chris- please I’m not way ahead of you. ;>)

This one was challenge. I thought the builds would get easier not more difficult. It doesn’t have a firm half way stop and the full open doesn’t’click’. The close is acceptable. But I remind myself how I used to get frustrated making fixed blades so I’m sticking with it. I’m calling this one done and not spending a lot of time on the finish since it’s a ‘lessons learned’ build.

IMG_5775.jpegIMG_5774.jpeg

You may have answered this earlier. Are you using a Rise/Fall indicator aka a Ruple Jig?
I've been watching some YT videos of the slip joint process and have purchased some starter books, but I gotta admit I'm really intimidated by the amount of detailed work it takes.
I'm certainly impressed by your progress.

You may have answered this earlier. Are you using a Rise/Fall indicator aka a Ruple Jig?
I've been watching some YT videos of the slip joint process and have purchased some starter books, but I gotta admit I'm really intimidated by the amount of detailed work it takes.
I'm certainly impressed by your progress.
Thank you.
I do not have one. The you tube videos I have seen aren’t very detailed like some other knife making videos.

The work at each step - open, half, close, to align the spring with the liners is tedious for me because I don’t have a lot of patience.

if I were to start again. I’d get Culver’s slip joint book first. I’d use a large scale project so it would lessen the finesse it takes with smaller components. I would not do any heat treat on the learning knife. I’d just use it to really understand the mechanics of how these slip joints work.

Back