4" Fileworked skinner with spalted maple

Frank Hunter

Here's the latest one off the bench, using some of Mark Farley's excellent material from Burlsource.us and a highly customized version of my 4" semi-nessmuk skinner. This one has a fingergrooved grip fit to the owner's hand, tribal filework from the clip to the heel of the handle, mitered 304 stainless bolsters and an absolutely razor sharp 4" S30V blade. The customer requested a slight thumb ramp with this iteration and I like the addition. Everyone that has seen this knife has had a WOW comment about the wood, asking "Gosh, what's that?" Thanks, Mark!

IMG_5123_zps96295723.jpg

IMG_5124_zpscec30d84.jpg

IMG_5127_zps215a9099.jpg

IMG_5140_zps92349baa.jpg

IMG_5130_zps974f04c4.jpg

I'm not big on the handle design, but man that sure looks nice. The grain on the maple is really cool.

Finger grooved grips are polarizing - people who like them definitely want them, where with others it's a definite "no". I have my knife patterns hanging on the wall, with a section just for alternate handle designs that I can swap from blade to blade - this is a mid sized one with very little heel.

I use knives quite often due to camping and what not, not doubting finger grooves. I think it's tough to use one and like it because many of them are made to fit a wide array of hands. Pretty sure however, if one was tailored specifically to my own hand, I'd love it. The only knife with grooves I liked enough to get, was the Chris Reeves Green Beret. Maybe I have weird hands? haha

Frank,
Great looking Monk,
Mudman, If you make one to fit for yourself with finger grooves you will forget that you even have the knife in your hands.

Back