440C Camp Knife

Hi guys!

I've finished this knife quite a while back but never got around to edit the videos I took and post the photos here.

I chose to go with 440C for a more maintenance friendly knife since I was going to be using it a lot. After using it for over a year, I'm very surprised and satisfied with the steel's performance. Good edge retention, easy to sharpen, does not scracth as easily as 5160, for example and didn't get a patina so far.

Here is a video with most of the process I went though:

[video=youtube_share;ELHezsRhMa8]

Let me know what you guys think and how I can improove on the process, geometry, heat treat, etc...

Before Sharpening:
x-pylhs2Fs6Q8PCytVATFlWU54rZy66T6CueAZunMRR1XoBrvUyWDZBvQnfdflPj7IcVIvscMgjKEzHZC5ehvr2hJg1sAaR1HJCrRFjbFUnOn7plo49MSf911859dbKplisZz2iNW1mvRslv1Zj5MXU_1f57TczcHaVloOd87tpH1xxxoklW4a1opdXUEhoJYZ-S7nV4ecgxtqnH3SE7E8i-1vF9WsrkbqK6jtufWqNt2L_B8sxPbx5dYwgN_UE0rj_9Neu_VmZ09gvTvoi4poeDL0tNOKmoL7EbjAA4p2K-vjb2xQNRGR-B5sDqLn10dRzOsdUkLcJfXqBNMvG1ShLNDcMhCJfUi0FtT6HQ9pt0yazNCXAjElKIaKxHDD2A97m2fjhJhwRR83pqw0nl5fjXReiPyRhzVVz_bOVdX4T80CBwfUB5ZbHlYRepu4qykrExhxaIDKm-OYDQgcgEqM-Lf3-Bmud-th1xVm3rYfUbsiqrjToCM-QnxdiDF861kPhuzyis1KYxXaAgMf4ead_qDNJ6OlY03W9uTpl_Gb8shdEdIJz6LAL9ltN73z47nxP7vm6CD4KxR_Wpz1fLnXnjIZYF7ODRgkFmNgnMJv75tyYHaaUka6k4YZv8-q_ea5fMIhnIdzhoC3YaQeiGVbuGQ4j5uYbnOA4FAomvOSLKZ98czuSujsA-jlAvDYnItp-DQ3hEiEFgONamYjI=w1024-h768-no

Kydex stealth molding:
ZqqPbY44zwoGNNaVMffsSdpl9lDvOIoweUyUebS0HvvLY3QoJgTYCkrwueKZb3fIC7fkvt-KOssqE3fx6zVJn-A1OwlQpEP_UFLv3R-F5ga-YZig9H1eAnVpv8dN-P0bOPTH2ieK7kbLNufEPkddwdIV7DcoLrHK3Ew6m5AZMOo0coUUgk8PeVPtrIZBl9wTllS-midCR2JMSOYW-ZOyf2hLusyv1XwavCRPUj-UJjD-q_t1SdbHGJNAEtFu6RmArsT2kQdT89D0rRMTq7nnSqzN1umPTRb82jH50vJVyBy6eLNSMBG6aPfio1ZRToNI59ME-3pjaU_hJSzj_B5QAlylYezawSrb96LLKEVTgj5vLvY7rQRKMgNlJNKKeyvzZ7LwQyQ8t2Y_GuM-Y8Ia-Iw1WeOuvtUKslyZ-M7YziWAgGsDCQstyWQHs4Z_mi-Aymky7oWZ5MQ_U5_PwW2WCycne2UYyErqeFqgpflfm8nwCHlDUii9FCWDG2FDGmdtKYH_kquW9T6fJsca1EyQQFwbOSSd7scoU0Jex-5GSqv1Za2YniCo4kUs3zSJmsC3cT0Y6LXrdF1AjNea1ZVzNXtp3XcXIJMmvnS0Z_Q08NbXKn97sO-AGswj8Gx35yWl4-35PFqU1JEc1F26iY3hK2exAllKXdtuRVb0pa0rEVyGUV53B5u8_Vzb76F4deD6pbNWiVVuJI9_Dirk5eU=w1024-h768-no

Finished Knife and Stealth:
7xGLukmNel54-Hi0AglLYquGvmAd8JKtLLrQpNf95LVz8aEEx6jxfLhsHpIRVooM8kz7WjAGLN5rUliUuCt-hl5E2hVGofr_iUkhVG7otvoS_3tGVrzyO4LPp1vu-4cAKcbFMNVMtEeLn0T3cGZI4dknVh4FF4CjzQBYAepAKYrfrUDEVIbBEhBpS0ydh5mlgv51aHOKaHYmyKTWdcb-s08Oeh8klvJsc9QmFiHXlazcc6hHUxv4J0MDgFfVTVWq8h5rWeujkF6indYBJkzie8F_a-M_FeXxGTVZViBZQWJ8iqAdgJ29734wCxOi9VQmSdyNp8XZJ5EnybOeEDc_5gtKBVjLAiC2pQzBObDbiU8E_8HMKQfMksaX7DHDhWafaQm0EyNRwzeZyq5EjTF8VHKQTCDjG1_2AJksTxueLF1PmGw-k8vol71vgg3lWmZaOeHzyPYg4Zx5mY6V5efrJw-NEqFoUqCotvD9uP68EGCGFlxh5GBI8mbW7DM3ZsliPlSFAM6l5jfGe8rBXHyFS6U0Z-ky1xsRX7hflHjjG0bMW5Q_e3vhSXTsYzWSJyiMf1eqIBrFJFTC3Qbe_9R_UO5Lua2h2CBhII3Jw2glN-NcDiaTeTdC_Ob7XrhrCpNHIOmUd6nEqwa69SI9KvjzVNKPS5owxymsQ1TWEbUc35VV75WIlTBtYHLMzzks7N74L_Y2q-wDiTx22Rk8zKo=w1024-h747-no

I know that's true Yuridarian, there's been a lot of discussion on this forum regarding logos with makers trying to decide what to use.
I know Jesse James knives uses a logo similar to yours with two lightning bolts and on another forum I saw where he got absolutely raked over the coals by a few people over it.
The biggest issue I usually see....and many others here will agree is that just using a mark can make it almost impossible to track down a maker in the future, verses searching for a maker by name, even if there's other makers by the same name. if there's other makers with the same name it at least narrows it down, and possibly pinpointing the maker by his individual mark.

Even a name like piney forge or mustang knives will be easier to track down than a symbol.
my name is pretty common in the knife world but my logo is distinctive and unmistakable when trying to track down one of my knives.

I like the knife and the sheath. As too the lighting bolts, a year or two from now some body is gonna come up and say hey does anybody know the maker that uses this mark????

And although you may still be in business, you have moved to another forum or now you have your own site and all of us here have gotten old enough and senile enough that none of us remember exactly who it was that used a similar logo.

And,...…………………… well you get the idea. Use your name and if you have room drop the city and state in there. There are few of us that will ever get big enough for anyone to remember if we used a bear, or a hammer or, or, or!!

Well,.........you may not have thought about it when you went with the lightning bolts initially, but... they can be interpreted as representing something else. lots of marks have different meaning's to people but if you want to sell and get your knives out in the public market this may not be a good choice. just say'in,.... that mark could be a slippery slope in the business world.

Last edited:
Alright guys ive got a question regarding blade logos while we are on the topic would i be able to turn my profile picture into a logo i could put on my blades

That's a nice looking knife, your logo stands out though, that may turn some folks off.
Thks Steve!
You're not the first one to say that... I've been giving it some thought! But making a nice discrete logo is F# hard!
Well,.........you may not have thought about it when you went with the lightning bolts initially, but... they can be interpreted as representing something else. lots of marks have different meaning's to people but if you want to sell and get your knives out in the public market this may not be a good choice. just say'in,.... that mark could be a slippery slope in the business world.

So here is what Steve, is trying to tell you your mark resembles, th.jpgThis is the mark of the Nazi's symbol for the SS!

And if one person associates your mark with the above marking. You just lost your sales because in this day and time, the whole world will want to jump on the bandwagon and in the blink of an eye. You are charged and convicted and now you are spending all your time to resurrect your business out of the craper!!

It is so bad that when I put in a search for the Nazi lighting bolts. A page of pictures popped up and after selecting this picture it took me to a short piece on what and how the symbol came to be and as I am reading this, ……………………. the big shocker came up!

A pop up came up from a white supremacist group and saying something about do you agree that the white male is becoming a minority in this country,...…………………. do you agree! I shut the site down immediately but they were actively recruiting!! It takes a lot to shock me anymore but I must say that one got there!!

Given what just happened in the Jewish Synagogue recently Pittsburgh recently. It won't take to much of a leap to get there!! I am sure that is not what you meant with the symbol. However once labeled that you are going to be the one to try and prove it!!

Use you name, wheter you get famous or not when the google your name they can usually find there way to you and you get more business. Not a hassle!

Yea, that's what I was trying to say. a lot of young people might not have noticed but as soon as I saw it that's what it reminded me of. that's why I was recommending changing it, you don't want that riding your coat tail.

Please let me say something here. I am one who says what is on his mind! That usually gives my true feelings but not always the smartest of ideas!!

We don't do political on this forum so I am trying to make my position clear!! I have seen a lot of stuff in this ole world worked, with people and around people, of all races, colors and religions, all my life! I see things changing in this country and while I am not exactly sure what is driving it. I do have to ask myself, WTH is a matter with folks these days!!

I have to say I was not trying to suggest anything inappropriate here!! I was merely trying to say words, actions, and something as small as a makers mark are being looked at with a different set of eyes!! What I was trying to tell you yuridarin and other makers out there, is you will be better to use your name as a mark. A name can not be misconstrued into something it is not and a name will bring all refences back to you!!!

I love the knife you made. It looks as if it would be very functional, and the workmanship is great! What I was speaking of was just a heads up on what some may see when they look at the makers mark!!

Thks Steve!
You're not the first one to say that... I've been giving it some thought! But making a nice discrete logo is F# hard!
If you decide you want to change the logo tell us some things about yourself, business, history ETC. I am sure many here would be happy to help you come up with something cool and memorable.

So here is what Steve, is trying to tell you your mark resembles, View attachment 65869This is the mark of the Nazi's symbol for the SS!

And if one person associates your mark with the above marking. You just lost your sales because in this day and time, the whole world will want to jump on the bandwagon and in the blink of an eye. You are charged and convicted and now you are spending all your time to resurrect your business out of the craper!!

It is so bad that when I put in a search for the Nazi lighting bolts. A page of pictures popped up and after selecting this picture it took me to a short piece on what and how the symbol came to be and as I am reading this, ……………………. the big shocker came up!

A pop up came up from a white supremacist group and saying something about do you agree that the white male is becoming a minority in this country,...…………………. do you agree! I shut the site down immediately but they were actively recruiting!! It takes a lot to shock me anymore but I must say that one got there!!

Given what just happened in the Jewish Synagogue recently Pittsburgh recently. It won't take to much of a leap to get there!! I am sure that is not what you meant with the symbol. However once labeled that you are going to be the one to try and prove it!!

Use you name, wheter you get famous or not when the google your name they can usually find there way to you and you get more business. Not a hassle!

OMG! I had no idea!

The symbol is actually not a lightning bolt (it is supposed to be asymmetrical) . It is a part of my signature.
After you guys pointed out about the logo, I've started thinking of something that would include the whole signature. Haven't decided on it yet but got a few sketches going...

I have no idea how far in the knife business I 'll go yet... For now I've have only made knifes as a hobby and sold only a few. But you guys convinced me I should give it some more thought.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Since you guys offered to help, here is the latest idea I've been working on... But i didn't figure out how to turn this in to something that I could look good engraved on a knife...

IMG_20181128_164952861.jpg

And this is the actual signature:

Signature.png

Makers marks are your bread and butter. While a logo can look cool. I have seen to many logo's go by the wayside. I am assuming the picture above is probably the first initial of you first and the first initial of your last name. If your last name is very long this may not work. However you could take the y and your last name and there is your cool Logo!!

I use C Craft because the is my name, or at least the first one is my initial and Craft is the last name!! I had stencils made to use this way just the name.
However I like making some of the 1700 - 1800 pieces from American history and some of those were commonly marked only with a cross and initials of the company providing the knife. So I have one that has a cross of my design and C Craft! Also it relates back to the only tattoo I have! Most think it is a knife but, it actually that same cross!!

If you stay with this and become somebody. Your name is what they will be looking for! And you do not have to worry about a name being misconstrued into something it was never intended to be!!

There are a couple on this forum that when they first started went by a screen name so to speak. Then he decided to actually use their name as their makers mark. I did not figure out for a month or so that the posts were not someone new but, now I know them by their actual name and I won't forget that!! If I only knew them by their screen name a year from now I would not remember who made that knife!!!

I hope this is helpful!!

While a logo can look cool

This is very helpfull!
My Last name is Darian, so if i went for the initials it would be YD, but if i had to go for one initial and a full name I would probably go the other way around: D Yuri

Though decision. hahahah
I'll keep on working it!

Back