Forged from Cru-Forge V steel
Full flat grind
5 1/2" blade
10 1/2" OAL
Convexed cutting edge
Antiqued finish on blade
Nickel Silver guard and pin

Handle is Stabilized Ancient Kauri
1200 years old. Professionally stabilized by K&G stabilizing.

Available for immediate delivery
Price is $325 in US. International shipping we can work out.

No sheath yet. If you would like one we can work it out. Butch Hagedorn does all my leather work. He will fix you up

uploadfromtaptalk1433723766575.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433723872128.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433723958958.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433724062205.jpg

Lovely looking knife. I was wondering about the kauri. Most of the ancient kauri I have seen is virtually fossilized so I wouldn't think it needs stabilizing. Was this from an ancient tree that was recently cut? Or does the wood still need to be stabilized? My father in law has a Kauri in his front yard and I'm thinking about snagging some next time he prunes it. Thanks

Lovely looking knife. I was wondering about the kauri. Most of the ancient kauri I have seen is virtually fossilized so I wouldn't think it needs stabilizing. Was this from an ancient tree that was recently cut? Or does the wood still need to be stabilized? My father in law has a Kauri in his front yard and I'm thinking about snagging some next time he prunes it. Thanks
Thanks Cally. It's not fossilized. It's still wood. Perfectly preserved, but still wood. It definitely benefited from stabilizing. Much denser after stabilizing. It is fairly light before stabilizing. Similar to cedar in texture and weight. I wouldn't use it unless it were stabilized. My opinion

The Kauri wood is very light (it's native here in NZ, so I have seen quite a lot of it). It tends to be used for high end furniture here nowadays, although Captain Cook said that it was perfect for masts on sailing ships. It seems to be very rot resistant, like many of the other native NZ trees. I might take your advice though and see if I can get some swamp kauri. That is the stuff that is very close to being fossilized and is much more dense, having soaked in a swamp for centuries. At this stage in my fledgling knife making activity I don't think I'm up to stabilizing stuff myself just yet. To be honest, I still have to check I have sandpaper the right way up :)

Back