#5 Finished! Check it out.

Self Made Knives

Hunter/skinner
Steel: 14C28N stainless
OAL: 9.25"
Thickness: 5/32"
Scales: Stabilized and dyed Giraffe with Corby's

I'm really liking this steel and I think this the sharpest knife I've ever owned! It might be a little on the large side for a hunter, but so am I, so I made this to fit my hand. Instead of etching my "Self Made" logo on the blade this time, I filed it into the spine. Jury's still out on whether I like it or not, what do you think? I also really like the stabilized bone, it shines up just like the blade. This one is full of "firsts" for me.

First stainless
First stainless heat treat
First cryo (dry ice/acetone)
First bone scales
First filework on spine other than jimping
First mirror polish

Thanks for looking,
Anthony

SAM_1712.jpgSAM_1717.jpgSAM_1725.jpgSAM_1741.jpgSAM_1719.jpgSAM_1745.jpg#5 pre heat treat copy.jpg

Wow, that is very nice! Love that file work! That gives me some ideas of my own for a logo I've been thinking about, hope you don't mind if I use the idea. Again, looks great. Keep up the good work.

There ain't a thing wrong with that, nice work.
Looks like you followed a plan and took your time. Nice when it all comes together huh ?

Rudy

That came out great. Love the blade profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's nice Chevy, nice design, nice polish, everything about that knife looks good. I'm not big on the file work but that's just me although it's very well executed and looks good. that type of design catches my eye because I make a lot of my knives in a similar style and I personally find that style to be comfortable for dressing out deer and hogs. Is that an old Remington 7400 in that one picture, possibly 30-06 ?

.... I'm not big on the file work but that's just me ........Is that an old Remington 7400 in that one picture, possibly 30-06 ?

Yeah, I'm kind of regretting the filework a little. One time I look at and love it, next time not so much. Everyone who has seen the knife in person (non-makers) has loved the filework. It's now my personal hunting knife, made to fit my hand, and totally my own design, so having my name on it works ok. I'm not really a big fan of any filework actually, but since I'm new I wanted to try it. I haven't seen anyone else with the knife pattern I came up with, so I tried it. May not ever again, who knows.

Yes, that's an old Jamomatic 30-06, left to me by my Grandpa a few years ago. He bought it new back in the early 80's, fired it 3 or 4 times to sight it in and as far as I know, every shot afterwards either took a deer or a bear. He said he bought two boxes of shells for it, and he still had a couple left in the second box when I got it. Took her out today, but got skunked.

Anthony

Very nice Chev, I like the spine design. I'ts original, musta been a lot of work! Great design, great execution. beautiful blade bro! Oh, and nice beard too.

You did really good on that Anthony - impressive. The file work is very well executed with the little knife outlines in the spine. The grind lines are crisp, and I really like the belly on the blade. Mirror polish? Yep, just like a mirror showing off that beard.

Ken H>

First time I've tried the mirror polish and I'd have to say it ain't no fun! Maybe I'm going about it the hard way, but it took me seemingly forever to get it sanded up though 2000 grit before going to the buffer. I'm still amazed at just how huge a 1000 grit scratch looks when you're that focused on it.

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I was kind of proud of this one, but then again I'm a little biased.

Anthony

Newbie question, the work on the jandle area of the spine was all done by file?34 Clearing up the scratch can be annoying when you have a smooth blade and them theres a gouge in an awkward to get to spot and haunts you. Lol

Yeah, Walt, all with files. Like I said earlier, I'm not too crazy about filework on knives usually, but wanted to try something. I just bought a cheap needle file set at Harbor Freight and they seem to work well so far. Paid a whole $4.00 for the set, below. I made a practice version on a piece of the scrap after cutting the blank out and then again on the actual knife. So, the cheapies held up for that twice and still seem to be cutting ok.

Chevy,
You have done very well!:35:.. There is plenty of drop in that Drooped point hunter. Nice overall design. Some love file work and others not so much!
Remember there is a seat for very posterior! I really like the blade shapes in the file work, very different. One suggestion on this hunter pattern is to taper the tang on the next one. It gives an excellent visual when the prospective buyer holds the knife in and and sees the tapering going both directions. You can still do file work if you like, actually you can do even more creative things with the file work if you like and do another one with maybe just some file jimping for thumb traction.

Time to make some more! You are on a streak!

I really like it that file work is very cool I haven't seen one like it great job!

.... One suggestion on this hunter pattern is to taper the tang on the next one. It gives an excellent visual when the prospective buyer holds the knife in and and sees the tapering going both directions.

Thanks for the comments Laurence. I've already been reading tutorials and watching videos on tapered tangs actually. I'm a little nervous to try it. I'm going to make a batch of 4 of my survival knives next and attempt selling them, after that a tapered tang attempt is probably coming up soon.

Anthony

Nice Work Anthony!!!
I really like the blade profile, and your execution was excellent.
You should be super proud of that knife.
- J

Back