90 to 1 gear reduction

I'm guessing you will have enough torque. What would your final rpm / ipm speed be? Touchy thing with a rolling mill, too fast and well it can get plain dangerous not to mention the potential for slippage. Too slow and the rollers can start to really suck the heat out of the billet, i.e. in contact with the steel too long. Of course wheel diameter comes into play int hese caclulations, but making the wheels too large can cause problems with excessive contact area. Hence, back to cooling problems.

Just my 2 cents...

Tough to tell from the pics, but the hp rating would be important. Pure guess here, but if the output shaft is less than 1 1/8" diameter, it may be designed for less than 1 hp input.

Good luck with the build, Craig

George,

From the research I've done and the smiths I've talked to, 2" diameter rollers are the best size for our needs. So if your going with 2" rollers your going to need 30:1 for 6 inches per second of feed if your using a 1725rpm motor but if your using a 3600 rpm motor your going to want a 60:1.

George,

From the research I've done and the smiths I've talked to, 2" diameter rollers are the best size for our needs. So if your going with 2" rollers your going to need 30:1 for 6 inches per second of feed if your using a 1725rpm motor but if your using a 3600 rpm motor your going to want a 60:1.
Thanks Dan.:3: When are you coming over for a visit?????:biggrin:

Back