A. Cole Photo Gallery

And this is what I've been working on most recently. A batch of Pairings and a Carving, all in 1/16in. D2. From top to bottom: Cocobolo, Bloodwood, Dymondwood, and the one in the group picture is Koa, that didn't make the cut. Most of these were handrubbed, but the Koa and Bloodwood have what I call a live etch finish. These just need a wax and then hopefully they'll head out the door to the kitchen. Side note, should I be using a photo host thing to post these photos so they don't take up website space? Thanks.Cocobolo Carving.JPGCocobolo Paring.JPGBloodwood paring.JPGDymondwood Paring.JPGGroup photo 2.JPGGroup photo 1.JPG

This is the first Nessmuk I've ever made. I really like the shape, but next time I would leave out the large choil and take the blue tape off before it started to patina the bevels. It is also the 100th knife I've made and the final picture is it with the first "knife" I ever made. D2, tapered tang, Nat. Micarta, brass, hollow ground machine finished bevels, satin flats. The Palo Alto is it's pal.
N1.JPGN2.JPGPA11.JPGPA12.JPG1and100.JPG

Recurve Bowie in 440c and Maple. There is maple burl on this side and birdseye on the other side, I think the burl is nicer and would like to get it stabilized.MapleB.JPGMapleB2.JPG

These were a custom order from a repeat customer. Recurve Bowie in 440c and Clip point hunter in D2. Dovetailed brass bolsters, tapered tang on the hunter. Hunter is handrubbed, hollow ground, and has a swedge. Bowie is machine finished, flat ground, and has a rounded spine. These recent sheaths were made with a new side of leather, wickett and craig 8-10oz. russet skirting. I like it. Anyway, enjoy the pics.
A6.JPGA1.JPG

This is a slipjoint I just finished which I really like. It's a bit heavy because of the brass handles, but I like it. AEB-L, handrubbed. I was originally going to leave the brass satin stroked vertically, but decided that since brass scratches so easily, I would throw it in the tumbler. I really like how it looks, and as it patinas it should look even better. Couple things that bug me, but you know how it goes. Don't know when the last time I was this excited about a knife was. (OK, I lied, it was the Nessmuk from a while back...)Brass2.JPGBrass.JPGBrass3.JPG

This is a knife I finished today for my brother. He thinks it looks like a canoe closed, I agree with him. Nat. Micarta and machine finished AEB-L. I think I'll really like AEB-L, especially once I run it just a teeny bit harder for these small guys. 6in. OAL.These close up pictures show all the little scratches.... Canoe2.JPGCanoe1.JPGCanoe3.JPG

And a kitchen knife. 8in OAL. Very thin. AEB-L handrubbed to 600, pernambuco wood, rounded octagonal shaped handle. I've taken the bear out of these last few makers marks. Trying to decide whether to leave it or not. Which do you think looks better?Santoku1.JPGSantoku2.JPG

Lanny's Clip in OD micarta and hollow ground AEB-L. It was an overcast, very light sprinkly day, so I was able to do pictures without a lightbox. I prefer overcast days over 30min to sunset, it's like a natural lightbox.Lanny's clip.JPGLanny's clip 2.JPGLanny's clip3.JPG

This is the only knife I've finished for a while, been getting a lot through heat treat. I'll probably keep a few heat treated blanks on hand for quicker custom orders, so I should be able to finish up a couple of them soon. Also, I really, really like the pinch slot. I drilled and filed it out by hand, but it would be awesome to have a mill....Canoe Green.JPGCanoe 2 Green.JPGCanoe 3 Green.JPG

Most recent. My first Shepherd pattern in handrubbed and aggressively stonewashed AEB-L (which the camera didn't pick up), and burnt orange micarta. I'm having problems with this problems with this micarta either having inclusions or tearing out, which is weird. SG2.JPGSG3.JPG
Another Shepherd (for me!) in handrubbed, hollow ground D2 and I think it is Ironwood. Maybe the prettiest wood I've ever used.SGI2.JPGSGI3.JPGSGI1.JPG
And my first Chef knife in handrubbed AEB-L and curly/figured Bubinga. Really like how it turned out.1Chef1.JPG1Chef2.JPG

Attachments

• 1Chef3.JPG
    1Chef3.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 3
  • SG1.JPG
    SG1.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 4
I wanted to make a kephart and this is what I came up with. I made two, and the other didn't turn out as well. I tried a couple new things with it, including a convex grind and a bulge in the handle at the front, as I've seen the originals had. AEB-L and Bubinga.Kephart 1.JPG

Attachments

• Kephart 2.JPG
    Kephart 2.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Kephart 3.JPG
    Kephart 3.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 10
Back