A couple of unrelated questions

wmhammond

Hey, Guys:

I've decided that I need to learn how to Hollow Grind if I am ever going to be able to call myself a knifemaker. That means that I am going to have to add a wheel and wheel arm to my Pheer 454 grinder. I have no idea what size wheel I should buy. What are the factors that I should consider when I decide what size of wheel to buy?

Second question: I know we all use different steels for different purposes and have different ideas about what steels perform best under certain circumstances. Just wondering if anybody feels strongly about what stainless steel is easiest to resharpen in the bush; say like on a smooth river rock or on the top edge of one of my truck windows? I appreciate all comments on these topics. Thank you.

Wallace

As far as a wheel goes, I say get the biggest one you can afford. I've got a 10" wheel and wish it were bigger. It just doesn't seem to get the grinds up high enough on larger blades. If your talking folders, it's fine. Disclaimer: I've only hollow ground 4 blades and 2 of those reside in my oops bucket. So, keep us informed as you learn it, I'm still not very confident on it.

Back