A forging tip...

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
For those who use a press or a power hammer, with any kind of manipulation dies (hole punching, opening accordions, or anywhere else that you to prevent hot steel from sticking)..... this stuff is really good! Its dry graphite spray. I've been using it for years, but never thought to mention it until yesterday, when I received and email from a young Bladesmith who was having issues with his hot cuts sticking.

The carrier part is flammable, but the dry graphite itself is not. What that means is DO NOT spray it on or at anything that is hot, or it will ignite that carrier, and you have a blowtorch in your hand! Spray it on dies, hot cuts, or anything else to keep hot steel from sticking. Let the carrier evaporate (you can see the carrier evaporating) and go to work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-5-5-oz-Industrial-Graphite-Dry-Lubricant-8-GS/202597501?

Last edited:
I use that as an anti-decarb coating on carbon blades. Works well.
I've heard mixed results on this. A few months ago I posted a question about this very application (it might have been on another knifemaking forum, though) and because of the conflicting reports on how well it works for decarb, I decided to go with ATP-641 for that.
I might have to get some and do an experiment some day...

Back