A hunter and an ulu

Mark Knapp

Dealer - Purveyor
I have two to show you, one is obviously a professional shot by Jim Cooper at Sharp By Coop. The other is obviously not a professional shot.

This is a drop point hunter with mammoth ivory and musk ox horn. The engraving and the sheath are also by me. Overall length about 9 1/2 inches.

Knapp_190430-wweb-XL.jpg

Next is an ulu with musk ox horn for a handle.
DSCF3922-XL.jpg

Please tell me what you think. Me

That's a beautiful knife Mark. a few months ago I did a fundraiser for the Safari Club and one of the items up for live auction was a full body mount Musk Ox.
I thought it would go for a lot even though most folks don't have somewhere in there house to display it, surprisingly it sold for a mere $300.00. later that night after the show it dawned on me what those horns could have been worth.

I know most taxidermist usually replace horns on exotic species but I'll always wonder about that one.
had I bought it though, I would have had to put it in my back yard with a tarp over it till I got the horns, and the wife likely would have given me a hard time for dragging it home.

That's a beautiful knife Mark. a few months ago I did a fundraiser for the Safari Club and one of the items up for live auction was a full body mount Musk Ox.
I thought it would go for a lot even though most folks don't have somewhere in there house to display it, surprisingly it sold for a mere $300.00. later that night after the show it dawned on me what those horns could have been worth.

I know most taxidermist usually replace horns on exotic species but I'll always wonder about that one.
had I bought it though, I would have had to put it in my back yard with a tarp over it till I got the horns, and the wife likely would have given me a hard time for dragging it home.
It takes a really big musk ox to get any amount of material out of for knife handles. For three hundred bucks it would have been worth the risk. Not every bull musk ox yields enough good material for knife handles.

I have two to show you, one is obviously a professional shot by Jim Cooper at Sharp By Coop. The other is obviously not a professional shot.

This is a drop point hunter with mammoth ivory and musk ox horn. The engraving and the sheath are also by me. Overall length about 9 1/2 inches.

Knapp_190430-wweb-XL.jpg

Next is an ulu with musk ox horn for a handle.
DSCF3922-XL.jpg

Please tell me what you think. Me
The knife is absolutely unreal in the quality and detail!! The ulu with its shape is unique. I don't ever recall seeing a ulu with the one side, I like it!!! I must admit I never realized musk ox looked like that under the bark!

Mark I have been following your work for a long time! I was a member of another forum and that is where I meant you. I remember you had an avatar that you looked to be in your, mid to late 20's. I always wondered how the young man in the avatar got to be so damn good. Only a couple of years ago did I realize you were not as young as the avatar!! :p Please take that in the humorous context it was meant to be!!

Mark the level of your work just blows my mind! You sir are, the master! Bowing to the master.jpg

Back