A little W2 hamon action

silver_pilate

A while back, I picked up some W2 rounds from Don Hanson III and had them power forged out into bar stock. Last week, I was able to get my forge up and running, and I hand forged my first-ever forged blade out of his W2 (keep in mind I've been stock-removing for years). Here's the blade after rough forging. It's not pretty. Not pretty at all, but there is a distal taper, it has been beveled with the hammer, and my blows were landing fairly square as there were no excessively deep hammer marks I had to grind out :D:

IMG_0743.jpg

Here it is after I did some clean-up:

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

I spent the afternoon in the shop working on this blade after heat treating it yesterday. Here's the blade after I clayed it:

photo.jpg

I used satanite for the clay. First I applied a super thin layer of satanite, dried it with the heat gun, and normalized the blade. Then, I brushed off the first layer of satanite, applied a new one, and then applied the thicker clay (around 1/16") to the blade. I again dried it partially with the heat gun prior to putting it in the oven which was around 450F (turned off and cooling down) after normalizing. After a few minutes, I brought the blade up to 1450F and held it there for 15 minutes. I quenched in Park's #50 at 78F. In for one-thousand, two-thousand, three-thousand; out for one-thousand, two-thousand, three-, and back in the oil to cool to oil temp. The satanite came off nicely after it cooled down. I tempered the blade and that gets us to today.

I cleaned up the flats using the disc grinder (I LOVE that thing), and cleaned up the bevels and plunges on the grinder. I went through the grits from 400 to 2000 by hand, and then I cleaned with alcohol and etched in a 4:1 ferric chloride:water solution for a 30 count. After it came out, I polished with a paper town, red rouge, and WD40 followed by 0000 steel wool and WD40.

I'm very pleased at how it turned out, though next time, I'll have my clay terminate a little higher on the blade to raise the hamon.

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

Thanks for looking!

--nathan

Last edited:
Well, it's not actually my first hamon, but it is my first forged blade. I've used 1095 for hamons before, but this is the first I've used W-2.

Thanks for the compliments! There's a lot more activity in there that I couldn't get with the lighting I had. It's funny, one side shows more activity than the other. Elusive little buggers, hamons. :D

--nathan

Last edited:
Workin it man workin it......looks killer.
I have plans on trying this real soon.
Thanks for the pics.

Nathan,

I just received an email from Michael yesterday saying he had just finished hammering my W2. Should be shipped soon. 2thumbs I'm really excited to see how it compares to the 1095 I get from Kelly Cupples (which is really nice stuff).

Erin

Erin, Michael really does a superb job. The bars are forged out very even and very clean with limited scale.

--nathan

Back