A moving on Present for my Brother in Arms and Mentor and most of all, True Friend

Jon Buescher

12 years ago a friendship that I could have never imagine living this long started with an 18 year old boot private (yours truly) and a salty Marine Sniper who had just transitioned from 1/5 STA to an Army National Guard Unit. Needless to say we got off to a rocky start (all privates are stupid and borderline handicapped) over the last 12 years we have grown up together, chewed some Iraqi dirt and IED fragments, buried too many friends, polished off many a case of Coors original, barbecued, and shed enough man tears to float a battleship. Through the laughter and mourning our friendship has become more than just that. I am (sadly) closer to him than my own Brother. He has recently moved up and on to a new opportunity teaching new grunts how to shoot. He is also a cowboy, I want to build a knife that encompasses some of our past together. I am going to start sketching some stuff and try to come up with a design for a knife to give him. I am happy for him taking this step but damn I will miss him. Any ideas or tips you can send me would be great. More to come as this project goes along. I plan on giving this knife to him in August

Here's a knife that I make....it's a cowboy knife. I did not do the sheaths. A friend of mine and I made these (me..knives, him...sheaths) for a men's ministry in a town about 30 miles from me....they were door prizes and guys seemed to like them.(bunch of cowboys here in Montana...) Maybe pics will give you some ideas. On cowboy knives...smaller is better. try to keep the sheath small also...I see some where the knife is perfect and the sheath looks like a dinner plate. Most guys prefer the laydown sheath and as you see below this style let's you wear it on either side.

hope this helps...26220791_318224498669194_5207729603439246281_o.jpg

12 years ago a friendship that I could have never imagine living this long started with an 18 year old boot private (yours truly) and a salty Marine Sniper who had just transitioned from 1/5 STA to an Army National Guard Unit. Needless to say we got off to a rocky start (all privates are stupid and borderline handicapped) over the last 12 years we have grown up together, chewed some Iraqi dirt and IED fragments, buried too many friends, polished off many a case of Coors original, barbecued, and shed enough man tears to float a battleship. Through the laughter and mourning our friendship has become more than just that. I am (sadly) closer to him than my own Brother. He has recently moved up and on to a new opportunity teaching new grunts how to shoot. He is also a cowboy, I want to build a knife that encompasses some of our past together. I am going to start sketching some stuff and try to come up with a design for a knife to give him. I am happy for him taking this step but damn I will miss him. Any ideas or tips you can send me would be great. More to come as this project goes along. I plan on giving this knife to him in August
Is a Bowie doable?

Whenever some one tells me they want a "cowboy knife". I instantly think bowie knife. But, there are thousands of choices and it seems every maker has put their spin on a bowie knife. Some more authentic than others. If you want ideas about "cowboy knives", "frontier knives", or "old west knives" - just google. I just googled "cowboy knife pictures" and "bowie knife". You will get tons of information. Good luck. This was interesting...

https://truewestmagazine.com/fighting-blades-of-the-frontier/

Knowing a pretty accomplished Bowie maker I think a medium/small Bowie stile knife with a rustic brute d’forge? Look might be the ticket, I want to stick with about a 6” blade, I’ve never made a hidden tang so I might be a full tang knife, I would love to do a bone or antler handle and a brass guard but I’ve never done that, I guess it’s a good time to learn

Having spent to long in the Army. Knowing how deep that goes. Maybe a fine mix between a bowtie and a k-bar? He might enjoy it.

Being you guys are military men would he like something more tactical or do you think more cowboy traditional would be his style.
I made a knife for an Army Ranger recently that turned out good and he loved it. Stonewashed blade and OD green micarta.

Definately old school for him, we both have a lot of tactical knives that honestly don't serve much of a purpose

I have a couple starter sketches done up, you'll have to excuse my doodles on them, I have been looking at how I will mark it for him. I have a nickel silver EGA pin that I am going to attach to the pommel of the knife, maybe he'll have an excuse to give someone the seal of approval with the butt of his knife HAHAHA!, also, I had a brilliant Idea, I am going to attempt to make him some custom 1911 grips, to go with it

I am going to have to commission a sheath to be made for this knife, I have no leather working tools, or experience yet. I'll work on that later.

More

Attachments

• BFC5AAD9-9484-4B2B-A8A9-6E4145F6AFD3.jpeg
    BFC5AAD9-9484-4B2B-A8A9-6E4145F6AFD3.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BBBB0755-2CE0-4D95-B4DA-0A8CC5924F8E.jpeg
    BBBB0755-2CE0-4D95-B4DA-0A8CC5924F8E.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 11
You've sure got a good start on a VERY commendable project. One question, you say "cowboy" knife - do you mean a cowboy's day to day working knife? OR, do you wish the focus to be more of the tactical side from the military days? OR, something more of a display type knife to show off the years ya'll have spent?

Back