A Newbee In need Of Help.

I understand now sir and I say that is a good starting point to test from. I cut my teeth forging numerous leaf spring knives and tools so do not think I am judging you in any way that was surely not my intention. My only point is that with a known steel you will have a better understanding of what qualities a knife SHOULD posses after following a given heat treat recipe. With leaf springs and files you are shooting in the dark and the only way to predict results is through trial and error and testing.

My ceramic belt is still in good cutting form but unfortunately it is slipping badly on the back, will a belt dressing cure it?

I have put on a new belt which is OK but loathe to cast away the first one which still has loads of work left on it.

What state is the drive wheel on your grinder as it may be that this is slicked up and may need a cleaning with acetone or even a slight roughing up with sandpaper

I have now cleaned the wheels of my almost new 4 x 36, I also cleaned the inside of the used belt belt, thanks for the tip AOK

I would like to make a 4 bevel dagger in the future when I become more competent/confident, I worry about getting the blades to match.

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Back