A question for both makers and knife show attendees....NEED YOUR INPUT PLEASE

Jarrettknives

Hey Gang -

Let me set the stage for a question to both makers and knife show attendees, buyers, customers....

I'm doing the A.G. Russell Knife Event this weekend. As the makers that do shows already know, it's nearly impossible to be able to accept every form of payment known to man. If you want to accept charge cards (that make it very easy on the customer) it requires equipment, and can be pricey to use. Checks are a no no especially at an out of state show no matter how many ID's they have - and most customers understand.

HERE IS THE QUESTION...

Have any makers used PayPal via a laptop at your table? Most venues have wireless internet and encryption is pretty state of the art now days - so I'm thinking of having my laptop available and if a customer wants to use a charge card and they have a PayPal account I can let them use the laptop to complete the transaction.

Makers - do you see any problem with this?

Customers/Attendees - would you use this if available? Is there any potential downside that would make you NOT use it?

I think it lessens the risk of running around with a pocket full of bills. Also the ATM's normally have a limit of what you can pull out at one time.

I leave tomorrow for Arkansas so I'd really appreciate as many points of view on this as I can so I can make a decent decision.

Thanks a ton in advance. Man alive - I love this place!!!!

CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Stop by my table at
The A.G. Russell Knife Event

Wayne, from what little I know about it I don't see any problem with using PayPal that way. If I were at a show, or anywhere else, and someone wanted me to PayPal them a payment I would not have a problem doing it, if I could figure out how to send an e-mail from my e-mail account to him. I would think that after I had PayPaled him and I closed out my e-mail program he would no longer have access from my end. He would have to be able to pull my pass word somehow, I guess. Of course, the better thing to do would be to call home and get my wife to send the PayPal payment, or use his computer, if he had one there, or back in his room. I guess that it is something that the experts need to answer.

BTW, if you are going to be in Arkansas why not just come across the next state and stay with me for a day or two. Ha! Just the next state over but 350 miles from West Memphis, Arkansas. I decided to go to the BAM Conference a couple of years ago in Missouri, also the next state over. It was 650 miles. Man, Tennessee is a long state.

Thank you my friend - great take on the subject. I'll have my laptop with me at the table so it should be convenient for everyone.

I'd love to "drop over" for a day or three but I'll have CJ and his Dad with me and it's their vehicle....and you're right....Tennessee is a long state. I thought about ribbing you for not coming to the show until I realized that you were at the other end of it!
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Wayne

Full Time Maker
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Stop by my table at

Wayne,
We had Tracy's laptop in the KD booth at the Blade show and he was able to do credit card sales through his store site, but I'm sure you can also use Paypal if you can connect.
Here's the hitch, Check the cost of wireless access if you do not have a phone card or built in wireless access in your laptop. The cost at BLADE was $250.00 for 3 days of access.

just my 2 cents,
Steve

Steve -

That is good news and something to check on with the show coordinators. Thanks for the heads up. I know at shows like Blade it's all about the almighty dollar. Like in Vegas when you want an extension cord. They send a union guy to plug it in and it's $150! I appreciate the input my friend.
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Wayne

Full Time Maker
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Stop by my table at

Wayne, I would NEVER access my PayPal account or another financial web site on someone else's computer. There is too much software out there, like WebWatcher, that records every keystroke including usernames and passwords! Its for monitoring your kids supposedly, but could be easily misused. I'm not too likely to let anyone get on my computer either. All they have to do is open one wrong e-mail and your PC is toast.

If someone wants to pay with PayPal from their smart phone, I would say great. BTW, Many smart phones can be used as modems or hubs now. Blackberry has Tetherberry and Android has apps also.

Wayne, You can accept Paypal Payments with your Cell phone!! Log into your account and look into it on their Home Page

Wayne, I think it's a great idea. As previously stated, most cell phones can access PayPal. I do it quite often with my phone if I'm on the go. It is also very likely that the hotel has a professional center with pc access where a customer could go to send payment via PayPal. You could then very easily verify payment by accessing you account by pc or your phone.

Just my .02 on a subject that every individual has to work out for themselves..

I have been doing shows for almost 10 years now. I have never refused a check and never had one bounce. I take credit card info the old fashioned way. I imprint the card and then fill out a little pre printed form that my CC company gave me with all the info I need to run the card later. I then call my wife in the evenings from a land line and have her run the cards. To date I have never had a card declined.
Now I am sure this philosophy will bite me in the butt some day. But, the community of knife makers and knife collectors is one of the most loyal and honest group of people I have ever been associated with. I figure that if I ever get burned by doing business the way I do, I'll have more than paid for the loss that a single sale caused...

I agree with Rock, I would NEVER access my PayPal/bank/debit/CC acc't on someone else's computer. (except for a VERY few people, like, two, that I trust with my kid's life.) Even if that person is completely honest, who knows if their 'puter is protected? If I were the seller, I'd be even less-inclined to let a stranger use my laptop for anything. Might as well hand them your wallet, SSN, and deed to your house. Naturally, most folks have no desire to mess you around, but it only takes one.

If your buyer has a laptop, netbook, or web-enabled phone, by all means let them use it. If not, and they have a CC/bank card/PayPal acc't, tell them you'll hold the knife for an hour or two while they go to the nearest ATM. I'd employ the same check policy as any online or mail-order retailer... the product will ship when the check clears.

Personally, if I'm in a buying mood, I'll bring cash, money orders or traveler's checks and take my chances on getting mugged between the cab and the venue.

$250 for a couple days' wireless access at a certain well-known show?!? Seriously? That's outright robbery. :mad: Around here, every coffee shop, gas station, diner, library and truck stop offers FREE electrical outlets and WiFi access so their customers can plug in thier laptops and check email or whatever. DRAMA ALERT: I know nobody's supposed to ever say anything against a certain big-name knife organization, but cheese and rice, that just reeks of outright greed. Wonder why attendance is down year-after-year... :confused:

Sorry if I sound angry or paranoid, but gosh... you gotta cover your butt.

Last edited:
It's the main reason I got a 3G phone .... You don't have to pay anyone else for access ..

Thanks a bunch guys! James - you put icing on the cake my friend. My laptop stays in my control only and I continue to do business at shows the way that I've been doing which has never failed me or my great customers yet.

Case closed.

Thanks again to all. That's what is so cool about KD.com Throw out a question and in just a little while you get some amazing advice. It's like talking to business advisers, your psychologist, and your big brothers all at the same time.
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Wayne

Full Time Maker
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Stop by my table at

Wayne, the center where the show will be is attached to the hotel. You shouldn't have any problems. As for the comments about the down right STUPID costs for wi fi access at BLADE, that wasn't the fault of BLADE. It was solely the event location who was behind the pricing.

Back