A quick look at one of my projects...

I used to spend time making a jig for bending but no matter what I tried, the guard still came out looking 'kinked'. It lacked the nice smooth flowing curve. After talking the issue over with a couple of my good friends, we all came to the same conclusion. So now, I just bend them free form, apply a little heat here and there and bend a little here and there, twist and tweak if needed. The result is much more natural and flowing.

I imagined it!! It was just too "organic" to be the fruit of whatever fixture....very, very nice outcome.
i agree with you that to pursuit flow and proportions it is wise to rely on a well concieved drawing....of course a nice drawing come from talent and experience.....and by inspiration from masters like you :3:

oh, oh....for your next trick will you part the red sea? :nothing::60:

Lol, it's really that good! What a wonderful tutorial and very interesting to see how some of you guys pull off such detail and beauty in your work. Bravo!

Looks great John thanks for taking the time to give us an inside look at one of your projects. I can't wait to see the pro pictures

John, thanks for the advice on drawing. I actually have a Bowie, that I have made a drawing of before I ever started to work on it. I even drew out the sheath. I was in love with where this one was going.
I have the blade rough shaped and the handle roughed out and........... that is as far as it went.

It has been laying around the shop for nearly a year. I pass it often and I still could not bring myself to complete it as drawn. There has always been one thing has always bugged me about the drawing. Last night it hit me it was the shape and design of the guard, and now I think I know what to do with it.

Now all I have to sit down and draw it out and see if I like that. Many thanks on this WIP it has been a great insight into some things that I could have been doing a lot easier or better!! Two thumbs up!!!!

See old dogs can learn new tricks!:s12205:

Back