A Simple Leuku

antigoth24

I was starting to become very embarrassed when people would ask me if I had a knife I made on me and all I would ever have is a crappy knife I made a few years ago that more resembles a shiv then a proper knife, so when I could stand it no more I made myself a simple leuku. This knife is common in northern Europe and often used by the Sammi reindeer herders. I have recently come to enjoy these knives and decided to make one just for me. The blade is 1090 with hamon and measures 5 1/2 inches long, copper ferrule leather spacers and Minnesota birch burl. My fiance and I were hunting pasque flowers this morning when I took this photo, new knife for a new spring. All comments are welcome, but since this one is mine I wasn't too fussy about it being a very nice knife, just simple and utilitarian. It also has a simple brown pouch sheath not shown in the picture as I was too lazy to take it off my belt for the photo :)

Robert

Last edited:
it's very nice but.....not leuku, those type of knives called puuko, leuku are bigger and used mostly for choppin woods and other things wich need to chop.
this is a typical leukuwith a puuko beside for comparison!

Hariklis, You are absolutely correct however it is too large to be a puukko and the blade shape is closer to that of a leuku so a mini-leuku style knife would probably have been a more accurate name but far less easy on the tongue :)

Back