A2 Steel for Guard

johnnyjump

I’m working on a Bowie from A2 steel and wondering about making the guard from left over A2. Any thoughts or suggestions as to using A2 for guards vs nickel silver? Thanks

Attachments

• EE2D6988-F7A7-4333-948D-ADE3579C9FC8.jpeg
    EE2D6988-F7A7-4333-948D-ADE3579C9FC8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Versus Nickel Silver, it will make everything far more difficult, simply due to the difference in the materials, but otherwise all your techniques and the work flow should be pretty much the same.

I would do all the cutting and shaping the A2 while it’s still annealed. Then send off for heat treat with the blade. Does A2 change in dimension any once hardened? That would be my main concern as the fit and finish will be mostly done before heat treat.

I would do all the cutting and shaping the A2 while it’s still annealed. Then send off for heat treat with the blade. Does A2 change in dimension any once hardened? That would be my main concern as the fit and finish will be mostly done before heat treat.

Why would you need to harden an A2 guard?

It probably wouldn't change any appreciable amount for a guard fit though.

Good point. I thought about that, but wondered if hardening it would help it to resist mars and scratches more.

Good point. I thought about that, but wondered if hardening it would help it to resist mars and scratches more.

That's a possibility but much softer nonferrous metals have been used for a long time and are still popular today.

There are times when hardening a guard has advantages but personally, I wouldn't do it on A2.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to stick with my tried and true Nickel Silver Guard Material. :)

Back