A2 steel

percy

I have been making knives for over 20 years now (Stock Removal) and have recently thought about forging I used to have a 110lb little giant but never used it and sold it years ago. My brother gave me a 50lb little giant for my birthday (I just cant sell it) and a forge. I already had a propane forge and a 50ton press and anvil , a large rolling mill that I put at a friends shop for him to use, and other such stuff to play with. My question is what steel would be best for someone to start to learn the process. I went to the Moran school in Washington Ark back in 95 but don't remember much. I have some A2 and thought that might work but not sure, hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction. I am going to add onto my shop before I go pick up the hammer, forge and 20inch disc sander. More stuff really isn't what I need right now, but at my age and condition if I don't start now I might as well forget it. this is what I do for a living so I can't spend all my time learning anymore because I have to pay the bills and feed the family.

Any help on steel type would be appreciated.

Percy

1084 or maybe 5160. Everyone seems to like the 1084 for how it acts. A2 would be better for stock removal. it hardens in air so forging it could be a problem.

Mike speaks the truth. Even though you may have experience heat treating A2 it would be very demanding to forge. It can be done but not by the novice smith. He gave you the names of a couple of good steels, 9260 is another good one. Admiral Steel carries it but you will have to call them, it's no longer on their online store and you might have to order a bit more than you want. 1070 is another that you might want to consider. If you have been doing your own heat treating and have you own heat treating kiln, 1095, especially the 1095 that you get from the New Jersey Steel Baron, would be good. There is also CruForgeV that can be had at USA Knife Maker Supply or Alpha Knife Supply. The latter also carries 1080+, that's 1080 with a little vanadium, but the last I checked they didn't have anything thick enough for forging, about 1/4" for the beginner, but it never hurts to check by occasionally.

Go to the American Bladesmithing Society online store and get a copy of The Making of a Knife by the late Bill Moran. It covers the basics of forging, including the use of a Little Giant mechanical hammer.

Doug

I concur about the A2 steel not being a good choice for pounding on.

It's a semi-stainless like D-2 and the chromium content is 5% , What they refer to as a cold work tool steel.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back