? about VFC campatibility

That will technically work, but you really want an inverter duty rated motor, or one with class F insulation. The class B insulation on the motor you linked is really not made to withstand the temperatures that you may see from running your inverter/VFD.

Something like this will probably be more suited to your VFD: http://www.amazon.com/MOTOR-1725RPM...8&sr=1-3&keywords=inverter+duty+3+phase+motor

Now it is half the speed, but your VFD has a 2x overspeed option, and it's my understanding that you'll get better torque across the spectrum with that setup, vs just doing the 3600RPM motor from the start.

Lastly, I don't think that VFD you linked comes standard with an on/off switch, so you may want to keep that in mind if that's important to you.

Thanks, I saved it to my list. Is there any negatives to not having a onoff switch?

You'll just have to unplug the drive or turn off the breaker in order to cut current to the drive, or just leave on continuously. You could also just wire a switch to the outlet. Overall, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't have a power switch, but I don't particularly like to leave things powered on when their not in use.

Check out the motors and VFDs on my web-site. That is not the motor that I recommend. I also have a wiring kit that had all you need to properly set up and wire your VFC and motor.

Let me know if I can help you.
You can call if you would like specific information or to discuss VFDs and motors.

a 2hp motor needs a 2hp VFD. you could drive this motor with the listed drive, but you will probably see overcurrent faults. are you going to use 120 or 240? which is more important to you 2hp or 3450rpm?

Last edited:
I'll be using 120v. My understanding is with a 2hp motor using 120v it will only be 1.5hp. I am in the process of rewiring my shop now. I guess i could use a 220v dedicated circuit for the grinder. I'm fine with 1.5hp. Is that not the same drive beumont (KMG) sales?

The derating applies to the VFD's output, not the motor's load. A 2hp VFD fed with single phase will only put out 1.5HP (roughly). The motor draws what it draws. As you bog down the motor with load, the slip will increase and the current will spike to generate torque so that the motor can catch up. If the motor is already larger than the VFD, you are asking for trouble. What is going to happen is that the motor is going to overheat as well as trip the VFD on overcurrent.

You can use a bigger VFD than motor, but you should not undersize the VFD for the motor.

Back