Abrasive grading and supplier listings

fitzo

I had a significant stock of 12-15 year old belts in the shop from before I got sick. Since I re-started the shop I've lost about 8 dozen belts to aged seams. Not unexpected. I have a heckuva bin of abrasives for hand sanding now. :)
I subsequently purchased just a scattering of belts a friend directed me to, to test out new abrasives. Unfortunately, when I received them, more than half were "P" graded abrasives and not the grits I'd wanted. I had forgotten that Euro belts were P graded and the supplier didn't mention it anywhere. On one of the belts one could make out a P if one blew up the pic, in retrospect.
To me, this shouldn't have to be. Accurate listings would've prevented it, as I know the difference.
I tried to start a thread about this on a different forum, and had good intentions, but a couple fanbois chose to intentionally misunderstand in the way of today's interwebs and I stood up to their crap, so the thread got killed by a little weasel.

My bottom line here is twofold and nothing more:
1) Encourage your suppliers to "accurize" their listings. That'll help everybody.
2) Get folks that don't know to understand that the P800 belt in their hand isn't the equivalent of an American 800 (it's 400), and they need to know the difference to correctly sequence their belts.

So, if any suppliers happen to read this ;), I really beg you to go through your listings and make sure all the "P" abrasives are listed as such. You'll surely get all my business. Thank you for your consideration.

Hope this thread didn't rub anyone the wrong way. Well, maybe the little weasel, but he doesn't come here.

I am glad this has helped someone! Thanks! Important stuff to know.
There are a bunch of "abrasive grit comparison chart" choices that come up in a Google search. Here are a couple I use:

This one comes up first in my search so I just tend to use it.
https://www.fine-tools.com/G10019.html
I printed that whole page. Tucked it in a clear sheet protector, taped the edges, punched a couple holes and hung it on my belt rack with a piece of cord.

This one can be a little confusing but it points up the differences well with the "micron" comparison.
https://www.universalphotonics.com/Portals/0/ReferenceLibrary/gritsizeRL.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you much ! (Spoken with a thick New England drawl!)
Amazing how people can double down on a false notion even after they’ve been told otherwise, wasn’t it? Sad, really, but so be it. The real pandemic the last few years seems to be stupidity.
And then the little king sends the thread packing for nothing more than he’s allowed repeatedly from others since I went back. If that set him off he must have been apoplectic back in the days of me and Indian George carrying on. I didn’t get any dinks for the thread, so?
Marking territory just like all the other mustelids, reminding me he’s got the badge.

In the past and written now.

My accent, by the way, is an Upper Midwest version of the Inland Lakes dialect mxed in with Missouri Ozarks (Pa) and a helping of spending fomative years in a redneck town of emigres from Alabama and Mississippi. When we moved when I was twelve I got asked for years if I was from the South. Ironic. Just in case somone doesn’t know, we all don’t talk the same in Illinois. LOL, eh Todd?

Hope the tables help keep belt sequence straight and purchasing more informed. Best to all…

Last edited:
Amazing how people can double down on a false notion even after they’ve been told otherwise, wasn’t it? Sad, really, but so be it. The real pandemic the last few years seems to be stupidity.
And then the little king sends the thread packing for nothing more than he’s allowed repeatedly from others since I went back. If that set him off he must have been apoplectic back in the days of me and Indian George carrying on. I didn’t get any dinks for the thread, so?
Marking territory just like all the other mustelids, reminding me he’s got the badge.

In the past and written now.

My accent, by the way, is an Upper Midwest version of the Inland Lakes dialect mxed in with Missouri Ozarks (Pa) and a helping of spending fomative years in a redneck town of emigres from Alabama and Mississippi. When we moved when I was twelve I got asked for years if I was from the South. Ironic. Just in case somone doesn’t know, we all don’t talk the same in Illinois. LOL, eh Todd?

Hope the tables help keep belt sequence straight and purchasing more informed. Best to all…
You get me on the phone, you'll swear you misdialed and got western Kentucky.

Rather than celebrate the beauty in the multitude of accents the US offers, fools all too often ridicule because of the differences. Makes people touchy. That's sad. We all need to remember again that the similarities are greater than the differences and common ground can be found.

Peace, except for tyrants. Let God sort 'em out.

Here's another grit chart that's pretty nice. From Micro Mesh. It's arranged in a way one can slice off the last 4 columns and put those into a plastic for a handy table which will cover ANSI/CAMI, FEPA P, A-graded, and micron.
You can left click on the chart and save to download.

Back