ABS Bladesmithing School Week One of Two

Allen Newberry

newberry knives
I am just back at my house for the weekend in between week one and week two of the ABS Introduction to bladesmithing course. So here are a few pictures from week one.

Here is a shot of part of the forging area:

Jim Crowell using one of the power hammers:

We have been able to use the power hammers. Which is fun. It makes the slow stuff go fast. It also allows you to make mistakes quickly.

Here are the grinders. There are a couple of Burr Kings, a few KMG's, and a few Baders. Several of which are variable speed.

Jim Crowell was scheduled to be our instructor for the first week. Tim Potier was scheduled to be the instructor for the second week. However, Tim came up and helped out the first week on his own dime. Gordon Graham also helped out the first week and is planning on coming up for the last couple of days of the second week. So instead of having one instructor for our forging we had three!

Jim Crowell (He sure makes it look easy!):

Tim Potier A very fun guy. I am looking forward to learning a ton from him next week. EyeeeeEEEEEEE! :

Gordon Graham I was sure glad he came down to help out!:

One of the fun parts of the week is that some talented makers sometimes drop by. When John Perry stopped by on Friday I managed to pick up one of his sanding jigs and one of his broaches.

Here is a picture of J.R. Cook when he dropped by:

On Thursday evening some of us went to Kenny Rowe's and some of us went to the meeting over at Uncle Al's. I went to Uncle Al's and I had a good time seeing makers I hadn't seen in a while. There was some good BBQ and a flintknapping demonstration.

Here is a picture I wish I had before coming up. It is the kitchen in the bunkhouse. The kitchen has a refrigerator/freezer with an icemaker, a microwave, and an oven/stove. (Now you can plan your meals.)

And finally here is on of the blades that I forged:

If there is anything that you guys want to see while I am up there for week two just let me know and I will see what I can do.

grate pictures I was there last year and had a fun time. I am not sure it is the same place it looks much cleaner than when I was there LOL.

nice!! lotta great teachers!! sure like to see as much as you can Post!! Have Fun

Ive not gotten to meet the other instructors you mentioned, but took a week long class at Jim's shop in Mtn View. WHAT a time! I now consider jim a Dear Friend. He is a master of his craft, and a super guy to boot!

God Bless
Mike

I will agree with you about Jim. And, if you ever do get a chance to meet Gordan Graham or Tim Potier do not pass up the chance.

Back