African Blackwood X 2

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Other than putting edges on the blades these two are finally done. Its been years since I have used any of this African Blackwood so I gave it a try. The bowie has a 7" blade and is 12" overall. The guard is mild steel and the other fitting are wrought iron. Pretty sure the blade is W-5 but it could be W-2. It was a blade I have had around for years that I never got around to finishing.
The hunter has a 4 1/2" 1080A blade and is just over 8". It has mild steel fittings. First pure stock removal blade I had made in several years.

Attachments

• IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6130.jpg
    IMG_6130.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 82
Very nice work. The African Blackwood is some of the hardest wood I have had to work with and to get it looking that good tes of the time and effort that has gone int it.

Real nice Raymond you work always impresses me. You have that look down pat!!

Your knives kind of remind me of woman with just as little make-up as she can get by with, just a hint of perfume on, and just enough revealed to make you wonder about what the rest of that looks like...………………………………….. oh what were we talking about, oh the knives. thinking man.jpg

There is something to be said for simple elegance! I look as some of these pieces and yes they are purdy but, there is so much going on it takes away from the piece instead of adding something to it!! You always hit that mark with your knives.

These are beautiful! May I ask how you this part is done?

Capture.JPG

Is it created with a small round file, lots of practice, and lots of time? Or, is there a trick? I will completely understand if you do not wish to share.

Z

Looking good Ray!!!!!!
What ever happened to that old glove and burlap you had in all your knife pictures ?

Real nice Raymond you work always impresses me. You have that look down pat!!

Your knives kind of remind me of woman with just as little make-up as she can get by with, just a hint of perfume on, and just enough revealed to make you wonder about what the rest of that looks like...………………………………….. oh what were we talking about, oh the knives. View attachment 67637

There is something to be said for simple elegance! I look as some of these pieces and yes they are purdy but, there is so much going on it takes away from the piece instead of adding something to it!! You always hit that mark with your knives.

Mr Craft, I've always enjoyed what you say about the knives I make. There plain Jane's with very little makeup but you say it better.

Looking good Ray!!!!!!
What ever happened to that old glove and burlap you had in all your knife pictures ?

All you got to do is look in the right pile and you can find just about anything in my shop/mess...... In this case the pile of bones was on the top.

These are beautiful! May I ask how you this part is done?

View attachment 67644

Is it created with a small round file, lots of practice, and lots of time? Or, is there a trick? I will completely understand if you do not wish to share.

Z

Lots of time but no small round files were used in the making of the fittings although they could be used.

After I have the general shape of the fitting I chuck up a 4" abrasive wheel in my drill press and then create a small table out of the vise on the drill press. The wheel is used to cut a groove after that is done I go to the belt grinder and open up the grooves using the edge of the belt. Once I do that I use a pine cone rotary burr and clean out the grooves. Etch and most likely repeat the process several times until it looks right to me. I spend more time making the fittings than anything else on the knife. After you have done this for at least 20 years you start getting the hang of it.

Mr Craft, I've always enjoyed what you say about the knives I make. There plain Jane's with very little makeup but you say it better.

Raymond, let me set this straight there is nothing plain Jane about your knives!! There is a big difference between plain Jane and simple elegance.

Your knives are far from plain Jane. Your knives look like simple elagance. Any knife that hits all the marks is a win win! However your knives and your work tends to give the impression that it is easy to do, what you do! When in reality most of may never hit that level of your craftmanship! Your work makes me strive to attain that level of knife making.

Now whether I ever achieve it or not, well that remains to be seen!! You set the bar pretty high!! Sometimes I do like to have a bit of fun when talking about what I am seeing in your work!!

Last edited:
Lots of time but no small round files were used in the making of the fittings although they could be used.

After I have the general shape of the fitting I chuck up a 4" abrasive wheel in my drill press and then create a small table out of the vise on the drill press. The wheel is used to cut a groove after that is done I go to the belt grinder and open up the grooves using the edge of the belt. Once I do that I use a pine cone rotary burr and clean out the grooves. Etch and most likely repeat the process several times until it looks right to me. I spend more time making the fittings than anything else on the knife. After you have done this for at least 20 years you start getting the hang of it.
Thank you very much! I have been wanting to give it a try.

Ray...I agree with C Craft here....Your work has always been one of my favorites...Definitely not plain Jane just knock down Beautiful... ....Now days a lot of the knives are to busy for me....Busy blades with Busy handles and Busy fittings...Its nice to see your work more often again :)

Back