Air Conditioned Shops

Very small shop, I use a gable fan to pull the heat out and a box fan blowing on me once the temps go above 95f.

I thought it got cold enough in the winter to kill the mosquitoes in Montana.

I use to have a boy who worked for me from Montana, so that nickname stuck to him, (Montana)! One morning he comes in with this t-shirt on, it had a picture or sheep quivering and this sheep herder smiling from ear to ear. The shirt said, Montana where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!!

I remember in about 1972 I was out there up around Ft. Peck Montana. We went up to where they were pouring the Dworshak Dam. That was quite an operation to watch. They had a concrete plant sit up on one bank and they never stopped pouring they sent a bucket out, about every 30 seconds. It would leave the plant and head out to where it was to dump on a cable. A loud horn signaled dumping and it would dump go back and grab another. The story was there was already two men buried in the damn. Never could confirm that but, definitely could see how it could happen. There was guys tying steel all the time and when the horn went off it looked liked ants scrambling out of the way. At night it was like its own little city. Lit up so you could read a newspaper on the banks!!

OK rambeled long enough!! If I hadn't found my honey when I was still in the Army. I would probably living somewhere out there!! Loved Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and thought about Alaska!! :)

My shop is AC by the diesel burner when it is cold (the water in my cooling bucket will freeze) and by the summer sun when it is hot. With a bare metal roof and no insulaton the summer can get a bit warm but not uncomfortably so.

Well the AC is working well in my shop. It will cool it to a comfortable mid 70’s on low!
I did some wiring yesterday and have most of the equipment relocated. I’ll post pics up in another thread.

C Craft --

Not to get the thread too far off track, but my Grandfather was the lead "powder monkey" (head blaster) at the Dworshak Dam quarry when I was a kid. I would go to work with him during summer vacation, and it was the coolest place to hand out with Grandpa. He always told me there were a couple of guys buried in the dam. Not sure if he was serious or if he was trying to ensure the inquisitive 11 year old did what he was told.

Les, I hear you, that was one he!! of a project!! Folks who don't know about construction and how a dam is actually built can't see the work that had to go into it. I have watched old footage of the Hoover Dam being built and well,...….. lets just say OSHA would have wrote more tickets than they could pay!!!

Back to the subject, you guys with AC suck!! Just kidding!!!!! Anyone that is doing it full time, I can see why you have to have AC. You can't concentrate well when it is so hot you can't breathe. So you loose time at your bread and butter!!

It would be really nice but not in the cards for me. Here most days you can survive with a fan blowing. However there are those days, when it seems the fan is just blowing superheated air!!

When I built the enclosed lean off my shop I didn take into consideration the afternoon sun. It shines through the 8’ x4’ door directly where I stand in front of the grinder. I could have installed a shade cover but I think long term, relocating was the best option.

I thought it got cold enough in the winter to kill the mosquitoes in Montana.

I use to have a boy who worked for me from Montana, so that nickname stuck to him, (Montana)! One morning he comes in with this t-shirt on, it had a picture or sheep quivering and this sheep herder smiling from ear to ear. The shirt said, Montana where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!!

I remember in about 1972 I was out there up around Ft. Peck Montana. We went up to where they were pouring the Dworshak Dam. That was quite an operation to watch. They had a concrete plant sit up on one bank and they never stopped pouring they sent a bucket out, about every 30 seconds. It would leave the plant and head out to where it was to dump on a cable. A loud horn signaled dumping and it would dump go back and grab another. The story was there was already two men buried in the damn. Never could confirm that but, definitely could see how it could happen. There was guys tying steel all the time and when the horn went off it looked liked ants scrambling out of the way. At night it was like its own little city. Lit up so you could read a newspaper on the banks!!

OK rambeled long enough!! If I hadn't found my honey when I was still in the Army. I would probably living somewhere out there!! Loved Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and thought about Alaska!! :)
some great Walleye fishin' there. Used to be an annual summer trip with lots of my family

some great Walleye fishin' there. Used to be an annual summer trip with lots of my family
Yeah...Walleye and trout....we have a yearly Walleye tournament(Fresno resevoir/dam) about 17 miles from my house...haven't ever fished for them but I LOVE eatin them!

Speaking of Walleye fishing... I took a friend out in my boat this morning. The sailor caught a damn nice walleye 11lbs 14 Oz... 18.5” girth

Attachments

• 5D70399A-80EB-40C8-B7DC-2D5A98DBFFD2.jpeg
    5D70399A-80EB-40C8-B7DC-2D5A98DBFFD2.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 746C6670-8342-46EA-A65D-1B9C300F9490.jpeg
    746C6670-8342-46EA-A65D-1B9C300F9490.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back