Aluminium Brass

Freds Edge

Has anyone had any experience working with aluminum brass , I have some large plates of it and was thinking of making balisters from it . I know its pretty tough stuff and used in salt water apps.

Depends on the alloy. The only aluminum bronze I've ever used has been my own alloy that I casted. It's a pain to get a good casting with, but once it's done, it's beautiful stuff. Working with it can be quite a pain as well, like you said, it's pretty tough, but man is it pretty, very much worth it.

Zeb

Thanks Zeb , here is a pix of the bar , it was cast at a small foundry near here years ago , our family produced pottery and we used it in some of our machinery as ware plates.

It is more difficult to saw than regular bronze. Has a nice gold color, patinas less and is tough. I got some around. One piece of round stock about 3" in dia. Small saw hates it. Hard for me to get usable pieces off from it. Need big saw with large teeth.

I use it for bushings in folders. I make turn them in a lathe and they work great, K & G sells bushings made from it. I think that is what Tony Bose uses.
I bought some from K&G to try and liked them so turned some out of 1/2 inch round stock. A lot to turn to 3/16 for a bushing but it was cheap when I got it.
For bolsters take some of the plate and cut into squares a little bigger than the pin size you need and turn them to make the pins for the bolsters.
I do that when I use raindrop mokume so you don't see the pins.
Anyway good material so I hope you like using it.

Back