Am getting frazzled and feeling overwhelmed. Needing to vent and get a little feedbac

Np on using the pics. Im at the moment just spinning my wheels on my knife so I have yet to buy any steel. So far either one of those or 1080 an 1080+ are on my ponder lists.

Ouch!! that bite is painful just by looking at the pic!!
No wonder why it set you in a bad mood my friend.

I am also an hobbist with a long family/friend schedule of "no rush, as soon as it's ready" LOL...eventually they get their knives.
They are also asking to buy, but i'm not ready to sell...probably never will. I don't want spoil one of my happiness sources converting it into a job ;)

Thanks to years of dealing with various issues and a mind over matter it was annoying and uncomfortable.
I am feeling that this hobby could be a relaxing job when I get the necessities for quality making.

I take deposits for these reasons. Most of my orders are for people who want something specific. I work 2 other jobs and don't really have time to make something just to make it. The only times I do are when I've got 1 order and I can work on another at the same time just to do it. I usually tell them I ask for half up front, but that I'm also negotiable. It's not to do anything other than to make sure you're serious about it. Some repeat customers I don't even ask for it because I know it won't be an issue. The deposit is to hold your place in line and I'm straight up about it and make it crystal clear that it's going to be at least x amount of time, maybe more, I don't do this full time and I'll keep you updated, but don't be rushing stuff or i'll gladly return your deposit. This works for me because I only do 1 to 2 a month. And as mentioned above, if you have 10 people that say they want one, as soon as you start talking money those 10 turn into 1 or 2.

What's really cool about being new and finally kinda getting to a place where you're comfortable working, is that eventually it gets easier and quicker. Just last month I was thinking about how quick I profiled and ground the bevels on a handful I was working on. What would have taken most of the day 8 to 12 months ago I now finish by lunch plus some extra work done.

Thanks for the reafirmation that it does become easier and, that customers can be just mooches at times wanting alot of work and time for free. It is becoming muscle memory when I grind and can see the hiccup when I dont follow the same motion I have done to get the grinds even and smooth.
Most of my issue is newbie frustrations, don't have all I want and have not enough time when I want to get things done. I have a plan to build a coffee can forge this weekend to sub in for the full size forge I am building to accomodate the fire danger. Small forge will be easier to conceal from the nosey neighbor up the hill. Lol That and the price of the small forge is about 25 to 30 bucks.

So work got in the way of dun this weekend. Now I have a day off so far will try to get it done today I hope.

My wife has a huge family and everybody wants a knife(free). I tell them they are on the list. I make 1 or 2 of those a year. I also make 1 a year for the family reunion with name year and date etched on the blade. If one of the relation wants a knife done and is willing to pay I make it and don't charge them. I think they are wising up though.
Just tell them They are on the list or give them a price.
TJ Smith

For me as a full time maker it is never easy to make knives for free, like the most of us : there is often very less time....but family and friends get it for free!This is one of my skills to get the free knife done, fast and clean! I am not talking about damascus, folders and the upper stuff, just a flattang without bolsters, thats a job of 6-8 hours without a sheath.
conditions are made: when, what material, what for a knife is not for discussion, thats my concern, but family and friends do not have to pay!....and my family is not that big and real friends are not too plenty, and besides I have been helped by family and friends a countless times, it is important to me that without help from people I have would not come this far in my profession, in my life.....so speak about friends, ....How many "friends"do we have that deserve a knife for free....?
get it done fast and clean(practicing and exercising thats what it is all about) and then You can afford to make, for those who deserve, a free knife.

Tj, most of my family gramps made a knife for them I just got my generations that were missed. Lol most of the family and friends are horse trading for knives. My cousin swapped 18 in of rr track for his an a chunk of black locust for his wifes.

Jeremiah, it is just that simple fast clean an personal.

Back