An Under $30 Find

DanF

I have been looking all around my area for a counter top cut off (or cut out), for a reasonable price. I had given up on 'reasonably priced', as the least expensive option I had found was a 1"x8"x12" from Tandy or other similar places, and they were just about double the price of this one. And then I found this on sale online.
20181211_133018-800x450.jpg
Edge marking, flattening, sharpening and a base for leather stamping, I'm loving it! Came in a very nice, protective fitted plywood box for storage to boot!

those are handy. I have one on my bench and use it for every knife.

I got the same one a few years ago at Woodcraft, they have them on sale once in a while for about that price, GOOD SCORE!

I wonder if one would get the same results with glass or plexiglass?

edited to say: "comparable" not "the same" results.

I looked at cutting boards from a big box available only by mail, but the size and thickness wasn't suitable for the intended purposes. I have come to view shipping costs as part of the price of doing business, not something I like, but there regardless.

If you guys will look around your town for a shop that cuts granite or stone counter tops and stop by one day speaking nicely to the owner or shop foreman I bet they have cutoffs or “scraps” you can get for free. I scored an 18” by 14” piece of perfect granite this way. The cutter guy messed it up so it was useless to them. Told them why I needed it and they were happy to give me a piece rather than waste it. The shop was awesome too fully automated.

I have a counter top wholesaler in my town. They gave me a 2'x3' section for a $10 cutting fee. They told me anything under 4' long was scrap and they threw it out. It isn't accurate to .0001 but it's flat enough for my work.

Back