Another Blackwood?

bmills

Thanks for all the replies on how to finish Blackwood. With that said, I have another. I’ve seen some beautiful handles from you folks that have been stippled. I have searched various sites and found various methods, mostly using some sort of power tool. Do any of you experienced people use a hammer and some sort of punch? I know Brownells sells stippling punches, but I don’t know if they would be practical, being that they are cylindrical and wouldn’t be able to finish corners in a border. I am not interested in speed, just a good stipple job (I do this as a hobby, no selling). If there is a tool that you use either bought, or made, could you post a picture? Also, would a veiner be what I need to border the stippling? Thanks for you time and knowledge.

Mr. John Doyle and Mr. Ed Caffrey have posted photos of beautifully stippled handles in this forum and as a regular contributor, I’m sure that you have seen them also. With that said, no, I am unable to post photos.

All of my stippling/texturing is done with a power/rotary tool. Specifically a GRS 850 tool.... Turns at 400,000 rpm, and using 1/16" shanked burrs (dental burrs). I use burrs of various sizes/shapes to achieve my desired results. The latest version is: https://www.grs.com/browse/air-systems-handpieces/rotary-systems/grs-ultra-850/
Another, lower cost option is: http://www.turbocarver.com/ These are the best tools for the job. Many will say, "Get a Dremel"..... DO NOT! At least for this purpose, It does a very poor job at best....and any of the slow speed/high torque tools biggest problem with stippling/texturing....

Listen carefully!! These type grinders, along with dremels have a BIG problem when used for stippling/texturing..... they have a lot of torque. You can be going along, and all of a sudden they will "grab", and drag the turn burr across whatever you're working on! Causing an awful train wreck!

A cheaper option is https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-18-in-micro-die-grinder-kit-60244.html but it still has the issue listed above.

I've tried doing it with a hand held "blade" which is shaped somewhat like a tiny spoon, but you are talking DAYS to stipple/texture a single handle, and it's not an option when working on metal.

With texturing on materials other than metals, it requires removing material to achieve the texture.....with metals, it can be done by "moving" material....what that means is that a hammer/punch combo isn't really an option.

I do like Blackwood. Here's a few examples.....

hunteroct152b.jpg

Fossil-Bowie.jpg

Black-Ash-Blackwood2.jpg

On Fossil Ivory....

mosaictrailpointhunter.jpg

And on Titanium....

Gen2foldergg1-zpsedc64083.jpg

Gen2-ELMaroon1-zps80ce113c.jpg

Ed,
Thanks for your reply and photos! Your work is top notch! I am not interested in metal stippling, strictly wood. Also, as I previously stated, I do this as a hobby. I take finished blades and apply handles, etc. The few knives that I have done this way have been given to my grandchildren and friends. I have never sold, nor will I ever sell a knife that I put handles on. I do make walking canes and would love to stipple the cane handle (I do not sell these either, I give them away). I’m too old to make things to sell lol! I’m retired, and don’t want a “job”. With that said, what is this blade you called somewhat spoon shaped? Can it be purchased somewhere? It doesn’t matter to me if the stippling takes days to complete, because like I said, I don’t do this for a living.

Back