antique etch blades?

Nylund knives

Do anybody have a good etching solution for making your knife blades look antique?

I don't want a plain black or grey blade, I would like a bit more textured etch.

Maybe a mix of mustard and vinegar?

Regards Jakob

I just finished two the other day. I mixedmustard,vinegar,horseradish,and A-1 steak sauce. I randomly put it on my blade then let it dry for about ten minutes and took a heat gun on it with mild heat til it was dry. I kept the heat low so it didn't effect the hardness. Then I washed it off and di it again. Keep doin it til you're happy with it. Almost look like they've been case hardened. Gotta work late allweek so it'll be this weekend fore I get pics posted.

I just finished two the other day. I mixedmustard,vinegar,horseradish,and A-1 steak sauce. I randomly put it on my blade then let it dry for about ten minutes and took a heat gun on it with mild heat til it was dry. I kept the heat low so it didn't effect the hardness. Then I washed it off and di it again. Keep doin it til you're happy with it. Almost look like they've been case hardened. Gotta work late allweek so it'll be this weekend fore I get pics posted.

Thanks, I will have to try that.

Regards Jakob

Just put the blade in vinegar with a drop or two of dish detergent. and let it soak for about 24 hrs or so after you finish it. I did this on a test blade and it came out with kind of a crinkled finish. It looked kind of like it had been burried for years but without the rust.

Here is one that I got from Ray Richard:

Get your blade super-clean. Get yourself some "Cold-Blue gun bluing. You can use an old rag, or wool dauber, or even crinkled up newspaper to randomly put the bluing on the blade. The idea is not to have a nice smooth finish.

Let the bluing set until it is almost dry, then put the blade in household clorox full-strength.

You will notice instant rust. Let it set for just a minute or two then pull it out and rinse well. Use steel wool to get the rust off. If it is not the effect you were looking for, do it again until you get what you want.

This technique will give your blade a look as though it were made 100 years ago.

Robert

Save your mustard, A-1 sauce, Horse radish, and vinegar for food. Do as Robert said with an exception. Wet sand the crud off with 400 grit wet&dry paper. Cold blue again, then dry sand with 400 grit again using a sanding block. Afterwards, I let mine sit for a day or so to let it rust again naturally, then dry sand with 400 grit and oil. If you heat the Clorox to around 100°, it works even faster.

pennyknife677_640x480.jpg

pennyknife659_640x480.jpg

Last edited:
wow those are excellent knives.Any time youd like to give me a lesson Im all ears . kellyw

Thank you for all your ideas!

When using cold blue and colorox to create rust, will the blade start rust more easily then a blade etched in vinegar?

Regards Jakob

If you are refering to afterwards, steel is steel. If not oiled, it will rust. If you mean during the process, it is near instant.

Back