Anvil

Freds Edge

Does anyone have any comment on this anvil , it will be coming up on auction in October and I'am thinking about picking it up.anvil oct 19.jpg

Are there any markings on it? IT looks solid, but would need more info before anyone would really be able to comment.

Hard to tell the maker from that pic, but it certainly looks like a good one. The face, horn and cutting table all look to be in fantastic condition, and the size I would guess to be between 120# and 200#. Again, hard to tell without some measurements, but the scale seems to be right for something north of 150#.

If I was in the market for an anvil, I would definitely buy that one if the price was right. The stump adds no value to the anvil, and don't let them tell you any different. Anyone can build a stand by laminating dimensional lumber, and it will resist rot. A stump is nice, if it puts the anvil at the right height for the buyer, but what are the odds?

$3 per pound or less would be a good buy. I might go a little higher than that after inspection. It's in great shape, and you can't get a new anvil for that cheap, so it all depends on how bad you need an anvil?

A lot of folks will tell you that $3-$4 per pound is crazy talk when it comes to buying an anvil, but if you think about the quality and durability of the anvil, it's really cheap over the life of the tool. Unless you're a born-again idiot, you won't ever wear that anvil out, and there are no parts to replace. With care, that anvil will be in the exact same condition twenty years from now.

That specimen is almost new in condition, from the pic, and it's a great size for general smithing. You would never want for another anvil. I wouldn't feel bad at all paying for a tool of that quality.

Back