Anvil

In that price range my choices would be the following, Please keep in mind I prefer a London Pattern Anvil because I forge a lot of different things.
1). Kanca 110 drop forged anvil $640 delivered to your door. Link: https://www.centaurforge.com/Kanca-110-lbs-Drop-Forged-Double-Horn-Anvil-50-KG/productinfo/DFA110DH/

2). Emerson 100 pound traditional anvil with turning cams $810 delievered to your door. Same site as above

I have also been researching Holland anvils which are made from H-13 steel and have a good reputation on the forums. They are currently out of stock on everything in your price range but I would surely look them up when you are ready to pull the trigger. I have my eye on their big Sawyers anvil too.

Remember the main reason for getting a heavier anvil is so you can use larger hammers on them. The general ratio for hand hammers and anvils is about 50:1. A two hundred pound anvil will love a four pound hammer. Yes, the work area is larger, but the main reason for the expensive 300+ pound anvils is so you can swing BA sledge hammers on them. If you are like most other people (myself included) I mostly swing a 2.5 pound rounding hammer and sometimes a three pound straight peen. I have a 140 ish Peter Wright which is what I need. If it did not have a sway in it (which Peter Wrights are known for) I would not want for a new anvil. No 300 pound anvil needed.

For about half or less of the cost above, Boss Dawg has the Black Robin (knife work only) or the NC knifemaker anvil. I have not used either of those but I know guys using the NC anvil as teacher anvils in their shop and they like it.

There are other anvils out there but for the money those are MY choices.
I have had the Kanca 110lb for a couple of years now, and I love my anvil. Understand I don't have a lot of experience with different anvils. I used a couple of others in the Intro to Bladesmithing class, but I enjoy this Kanca every bit as much as any one that I used in class.

Back