Any use for steel scrap?

Matt de Clercq

Is there any use for all the little pieces of steel I end up with after cutting out blades? It wouldn't be much of a hassle to save it rather than throw it away but I can't think of anything it could be used for or heard of anyone asking for it.

Damascus makes some beautiful pendants, mild an stainless steel can be engraved,etched or just shaped an turned to a pendant,earrings or what ever the imagination comes up with.

they may be big enough to make wood carving knives. OR engrave what kind of steel each piece is and use them for heat treat tests.

Damascus makes some beautiful pendants, mild an stainless steel can be engraved,etched or just shaped an turned to a pendant,earrings or what ever the imagination comes up with.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a person or company that does things like this and would value a few pounds a year?

I keep pieces that might be big enough to make knife parts in a separate area, keep them marked as to what kind of metal it is!

I always am doing other metal. Anything too small to be outright useful goes in the bucket. Like you say it adds up after time. Keep up with scrap prices and when they are high sell!!!

Honestly I have not tried Damascus at this time. However, the making of Damascus without cold shunts/flaws is hard enough with large pieces and having everything clean and smooth, to my understanding. Starting out with a bunch of small pieces is definitely going to add another layer into that process, of not having flaws and cold shunts in the process!! Just my O2 for now on that.

There are crafters everywhere who would value a few lbs. Alabama damascus puts their sheets of drop on Ebay for various prices depending on size.
If you did the same but started the price where it would be for scrap there is no harm other than the listing time and mabbe fee

Back