Atlas mini-forge for general forging use?

Travis Fry

I am considering one of these as a general forging forge with the thought that it would be more efficient for every day use. If I did this I'd still want to build a larger welding forge eventually (I have used and very much like Ed Caffrey's design), but I see this as having the potential to be both a low cost entry to forging that would meet 90% of my needs AND be a more efficient money saver even after I build something larger.

According to the maker, the new burner gets hot enough to weld, thought the 2"x10" chamber limits this to only small stuff (cable damascus and very small billets, welding on bolsters for integrals, maybe some san mai,etc.). They've also made a lot of improvements at the suggestions of users (e.g., an angled torch entry for a better vortex and minimal hotspots), and it's portable. I heat treat with a kiln, so that's not an issue.

So, for a general use forge, does anyone see any drawbacks? Any thoughts on this plan?

For general smithing? No. Simply put, the narrow chamber seriously limits what you can do. What if you wanted to make a scroll or hook? Or, what about putting a 90º bend in a piece of long stock that won't fit through the slot at the back of the forge? Making some of the most simple things requires a chamber far more versatile than 2x10.

I've never used one of their burners and can't speak to the quality, but the reviews all seem rather positive and I wouldn't feel bad about buying a Graham burner from them to make my own forge. For the money, you're better off buying the wool liner and plistix to make a forge that better serves your needs. It can still be portable, just needs a chamber that's more properly sized.

A piece of 6x10"black pipe with two 1x1" channels welded to each side. Wrapped with kaowool and coated with refractory, their burner would make a better total package. I use a 2 brick forge daily with no problems. You will need a larger chamber. Mine is 3.5h x2.25"w.

I have likewise come to the conclusion that I need something bigger. I'll hopefully be building one of my own eventually, and will consider their burner when the time comes.

Here’s an easy no weld design that works well for general forging. It won’t quite get hot enough to forge weld, but also much less likely to over heat or burn high carbon steels. The main chamber is from a Heineken micro keg. The other cans are held in place with tabs. You can get some pretty odd shapes in it using the gas intake, top vent and the front and back doors. The lining is 1 inch high density ceramic thermal blanket, saturated with cone 10 porcelain slip. It runs on a weed burner.

Front ¾ view
DSCN7665-002.JPG

Looking through the front at the inserts in the back door, for adjusting the aperture.
DSCN7697-001.JPG

Wooden splints can be placed into the top vent for a more reducing atmosphere when needed.
DSCN7690-003.JPG

Last edited:
Here’s few shots that show the parts and tabs.

Easy to make, works good and won't cost an arm and a leg... maybe $45 bucks (burner included) and a morning's work.

... plus, you get to drink the beer, free! :)

DSCN7564.JPG

DSCN7575-001.JPG

The tabs get bent up on the inside and down on the outside.
DSCN7577-002.JPG

DSCN7595-001.JPG

The secondary cans at the pre-heating intake and top vent are lined with half inch instead of the one inch as in the main chamber. It's well insulated, but also heats up and cools down fast. Efficient as it is, you can actually save even more gas by turning it down when you pull the steel and back up when taking a heat, without wasting any time...

The weed burner doesn't go inside the intake opening, but sits back a ways and just blows in, like in the first series of pix.

The micro keg seems to be the perfect size and configuration to go with the weed burner.

The whole thing is also light weight and very portable.

Last edited:
That's very cool Tai! I'm in the oil business, so 8-10 in well casing is pretty easy to come by. I still like the idea of the venturi burner that the Atlas guys sell, mostly because I really can't make it much cheaper and I don't need a blower like for forced air (though my welding forge will be forced air, when the time comes). I like your no-weld idea though, and though I'd prefer to weld it, my current lack of a welder may preclude that option. Thanks for posting pics!

The weed burner is venture type and only about $20 at Harbor Freight.

This "micro keg" is made from thin mild steel. It's so efficient, the outside never get's hot. I never have seen the need for a heavier steel container. I think it just soaks up more heat/gas.... more of a heat sink.

If you forge weld in a gas forge, it will contaminate the lining with flux, which can lead to problems like pitting. So, I think it's best anyway to have one for general forging and a different forge for welding in.

... not trying to talk you into it, but just saying... easiest most efficient thing I've tried yet.

Last edited:
Having no welder Travis is not an excuse. You are welcome to come build a forge at my place. I'll even help set the welder for you. Lol
Jim

Speaking of welders, I've about settled on a Millermatic 211 whenever the time comes. It just got moved onto the relatively short list of things I want to get eventually and that I'll buy whenever I find an amazing deal, right along with a good bench top mill and a metal lathe.

Jim, I won't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind. I think YOU need to build yourself a smaller horizontal forge for regular forging so you'll quit avoiding your hammers, and since you don't already have enough stuff in your shop.

Back