Attaching Bolsters

Freds Edge

I plan on using bolsters on my next two knives , is there a preferred way of attachment or will just pins do the job ?

I find if you surface your tang and the backs of the bolsters so there's zero gap the pins are sufficient. I just put pins in, peen the heck out of them, and call it good. The few that I've had to disassemble were a nightmare to get back off. If you really want to I've heard of sealing the fine parting line with JB weld or solder for waterproofing.

If you get the tang and bolsters dead flat, you won't have much of a gap at all. I pin mine then put a drop of thin superglue in there just to seal everything up. I use epoxy sometimes, but usually just go for flat plus superglue.

Thanks ,pining and peening the heck out of them was my plan.

To make your pins invisable, be sure to use the same material pins that your bolsters are made of. When you are done peening them and grind them down they will disapear. Make them out of different materials and they will haunt you to no end.
Oh...and peen those pins like they just stole your favorite deer gun. (for stainless peening is harder requireing more effort brass and mild steel not so much.)

Aside from everything mentioned above, if you don't want to silver solder them, then I highly suggest using JB Weld or some other epoxy on them to seal away any moisture.

If you can't find matching material to do "invisible" pins with, use mosaic pins and really make the contrast stand out.

Doug

I made a 25 ton pin press
But be sure as others have said usr the sam material
I mostly use Heat treated 416ss for my bolsers and pins
I made the wistake of useing unheatreated pins the other day and they showed up as a little ring as they wer softer and sanded and Buffed different.

Back