Bühlmann's 2022 KITH for KenH

Bühlmann

My first KITH & I didn't need the added stress of a WIP :p, so here is KenH's finished new Ko-Bunka:

-26C3 HC steel @ 63 HRC (+/-2)
-Forced patina on flats, 15 dps edge
-Tapered wa handle construction
-African blackwood, ”abyss” Kirinite bolsters, white G10 & aluminum spacers
-custom cedar saya w/matching Kirinite pin
-4.875” cutting edge, 4.75” handle, 10” OAL, 4.2oz (5.4oz w/saya)

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

Last edited:
Now that is most impressive! That's a clean grind line for sure.

I will be honored to receive that knife. 26C3 is perhaps my favorite HC steel these days. I use it in San Mai. Just color me IMPRESSED, not only with the knife, but also with the photography - outstanding.

Rather than start a new thread I'll tag to this one. Eric has posted better photos than I would take so we'll use those. The knife actually looks better in person than the photos do. The photos are good, but don't quite do justice to the knife. The wife has already decided it's "her" favorite knife.

BTW, just interest I checked the Rc on my tester and got.... 63 Rc just as listed above. Eric, did you have a tester to check the hardness?

THANK YOU ERIC!!! for such a nice gift.

Last edited:
You are very welcome & I’m glad you are pleased, Ken!

I look forward to hearing your (or your wife’s) feedback and critiques after you have a little cutting board time with it. It’s my first real kitchen knife, so I’m interested in your take on ergonomics, blade geometry, edge characteristics, and overall utility. I hope it becomes the one that is always reached for!

It was an honor to make it for you.

ETA: I don’t have a tester, just a Tsubosan file kit. That was my first 26C3 blade and I was surprised at how hard it was out of the quench. The 65 file didn’t even blink with a moderate amount of pressure. After tempering, the 65 still didn’t dig like I’m used to, but the 60 skated like the 65 did pre-temper. So I made the judgement that 63 +/-2 confidently covered me within the range of the accuracy of the files and my consistency in technique using them. Thank you for testing the blade. Tells me that my approach and technique is valid within the limitations of the files at least.

Last edited:
Back