Bad day in the shop!!!!

Tom Militano

KNIFE MAKER
Ever had a day in the shop when you were just wasting your time by being there. Today was that day for me. I screwed up everything I touched, even broke my coffee cup. That was traumatic. Scrapped a blade beyond being able to be used for anything else. Broke an end mill, can't find my chuck key, and I was sitting there eyeballing a nice piece of blue ivory when I decided to leave it alone and come in the house before I messed that up too. I may have to put on safety glasses when I brush my teeth tonight so I don't put my eyes out.

We've all had bad days.... but you'll never make it to the good ones without them. Best to get them out of the way now. ;)
As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as wasted shop time, as long as you learn even a little bit from it.

Unfortunately, my bad days usually end up with a few tools flung across the shop making the bad day worse. It's good to hear that you were able to practice a little more self control and come in before things got the best of you.

I can relate, Tom. I've had several days (or nights) where I just stopped off in the middle of something before I screwed it up worse than I already had. That's a good time to clean the shop; if you're into that sort of thing ;).

Went back out today and never had a problem. Hit the grinds without a hiccup. It was scary!! Wish everyday went like today.

Yep!!! I can relate to that.:34:
Hey!!!! Missed Placed Yankee, safety glasses???:les: Your teeth are like stars??? They come out at night. HEHEHEHEHE!!!!

Yup I have several days a month just like that , usually there is blood involved so your lucky. I usually leave the shop cuzz if I dont Ill be twice as ticked off whan I wreck a perfectly good some thing or other lol kellyw

Mama said there would be days like that.
She just didn't tell me they would come in bunches:sad:

God bless,Keith

I guess everyone has one of those days once in awhile. I find that most of the time when it happens to me is when I am wanting to get something completed soon and am in a hurry.

sorry to hear about the bad day but as you did the best advise given to me (art summers) lay it down and go back the next day if not working well then try again

Days like that end in lots of beer or whiskey! I ruined a $350 knife one time because it picked up to sharpen while I was angry. Not a good day. Had to call the customer and tell im his knife was going to a little late because it had messed up. Put em down and pick up the broom or vacuum!!

Nope, haven't had a bad day in the shop in 2 1/2 years... course, that's the day I retired and now if the stuff hits the fan, I sit in my personally made adirondack chair and smoke a great cigar, watch the clock tick... then clean up what ever mess I made (that you are describing). ;)

Just think, at any moment this could all just STOP!! I don't know how many days I have left, but I'm damn sure going to enjoy them all... even the bad ones. Oh, and if you have children or even better, GRAND CHILDREN they cure everything. Don't ask me about teenagers... ugh!! But, when I hear my name sake call "Papapapapapapa" over the face time... and he's dancing around ahhh... yes!! so, enjoy!! The alternative could be a lot worse!!

Back