Ball Vise

David Roeder

During my visit to San Antonio I attended a seminar by Joe Keeslar. He was demonstrating wire inlay. Definitely something I will be doing in the soon future ! He used a ball vise when working with the hand tools. It swiveled all ways and was a definite style vise to use. I just finished making one. Total weight is 31 pounds ! I made new jaws and drilled different hold for configurations of a knife handle. So it's adjustable. Three pin mounting so I'm sure it should hold just about anything.

I'm looking forward to making some hand tools now so I can start learning to inlay. Thought I'd share :) hope you like it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 122
Looks cool!
Panavise makes a relatively inexpensive one that I've used for years. Not as strong as the one you made, but I haven't broken mine yet. It's usually better if you make it yourself.

Great job on the vise. A couple of weeks ago, I went to my storage warehouse and got two old bowling balls with the same idea in mind. Did you strap the ball to a board to hold it and cut it with a band saw?

nice vice...GRS maybe calling you to make them some..

Yes it's a solid tire. It sticks pretty well too. I need to make a fourth pin for it, but all in all it works great ! I really like it :)

In March I'm going to buy some silver wire and start doing some inlay in a handle or two. And also going to look into a graver. I'm really excited about the options I have now.

Back