Band Saw Blades??

SPAknives

Hey Fellors,
I just purchased a new JET 64 1/2" verticle/horizontal band saw. So far I love it and it works great. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me a good blade to purchase for metal cutting in that size and where to get them. I'm kinda thinking somewhere around 18tpi, but I am not exactly sure what the best tpi is either. Any help here would be great! Thanks, Shane

The rule of thumb on metal saw blades is you want 3 teeth contacting the metal when cutting. In practice, most of the metal we cut is too thin for that. I use 12 to14tpi for .180 or thicker and 18tpi for .10 to .180 and 22/24 for under .10"

The saw blade that comes with those 4x6 saws is usually a fairly cheap HSS metal saw. You want a bi-metal blade. It will hold up quite a bit longer. There is a break in on blades that will help from shearing teeth later. Cut at half the rate you would normally for the first 10 minutes. Half the rate means SLOW with out much pressure.

I've got a few different blade saw blades here...

I purchase my blades on ebay. I buy Morse 10 tpi bi metal blades, its about $50 for two blades so not bad. I cut a lot of thick damascus so 10 tpi is probably not what your looking for. I get my blades from this guy. http://myworld.ebay.com/buckeye445/; he sells 10, 14, and 18 tpi.

If I remember correctly, you want a minimum of 3 teeth and a maximum of 12 teeth in contact with the metal at all times. The tpi you want would depend on the thickness of the metal you will be cutting.

Edit- Tracy is right about breaking in blades. Its suggested that you cut 50 to 100 inches at half speed. Personally I make it to 10 inches at half speed then say good enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help & info fellors! I had no idea about the break in part of it.
Tracy I will be getting a few of those from you to try out.

It also help a band saw blade to ust let it run without cutting anything for 10-15 min.
Helps limber up the blade.I use Irwin blades from MSC at 18 tpi.
Stan

You can buy Olsons blades at Atwoods in this area or we get them at Steve's Wholesale. About $18.75 now for the 18tpi which work great. Mostly cutting stainless with them in blade and guard/bolster material.

I use 14 tpi Olson Hard back blades I am able to find them at my local hardware store 12.00. I use plenty of cutting oil. No problems at all. I cut mainly tool steels and damascus

Thanks for the help fellors!!
Now how about cutting titanium on the band saw??.065 and .25 anyone have any help there??

The above TPI are goood. i use lennox diemaster 2 blades! they're the best i have found. i've cut literally 9 square feet of 3/16" TI with the same blade and it still chews through it!

For TI that thin i would go with atleast 18-24 tpi.

Back