Band Saw

Mike Martinez

After killing another Harbor Freight bandsaw, I'm again looking for a better saw. Ideally an AMERICAN MADE bandsaw would be best but it must have a moderate footprint. The small 44 7/8 portable band saws are great but I would not be opposed to something like the larger 4x6 from HF. Thank you guys for any input.

-Mike

I have a Wellsaw W-20 and IMO it is one of the best metal cutting band saws around. It is American made, has a built in blade welder so that you can buy bulk blade material and make your own blades and has a dead flat, tilting cast iron table. Using one of the bigger saws really makes things a lot more enjoyable. Once you use one, you will never regret giving up a little more shop space. Mine sees a lot of use for all sorts of things. New they are WAY out of my price range, but I was able to pick mine up used for $500. You might look on some of the used equipment sites for a saw. Kyser Johnson would be another good American made saw from back when tools were made to last a lifetime. I have a horizontal one of them as well and it is a great machine. If you just don't have the room for a bigger saw, then the HF 4x6 ain't bad for the money. I have one of them also, that is 15 years old and still going strong! In fact it has probably cut 10 times more steel than my two big saws combined!

Bill

Back