Bearings for platen wheel

Alden Cole

I need to replace the bearing on one of my tracking wheels. Found these, look to be the same as KMG's but are ten times cheaper. Am I missing anything, or are these the type needed?

I need to replace the bearing on one of my tracking wheels. Found these, look to be the same as KMG's but are ten times cheaper. Am I missing anything, or are these the type needed?

With bearings, you get what you pay for. $10/per is a fair price. McMaster wants $10 for a grease lubed R8-2RS, and $16 for the permanently lubed variant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

In other words, I'd rather have 2 10 dollar bearings. They'll last substantially longer and likely hold a tighter tolerance out of the box. Plus they're gonna be packed with better grease and have gone through better QC

It would be an interesting experiment to install one $10 bearing and a $1 bearing in same small wheel and see how they held up. I've always used the el cheapo ebay bearings with decent luck. BUT - I'm just a hobby maker and my grinders get less use in a month than a commercial shop would in a day. It's a lot like buying a SnapOn wrench vs a harbor freight wrench.

I use the cheap bearings in my small wheel set up's and they seem to last pretty good given the rpm's their running.
when they give up the ghost I just pop them out and pop another set in.
I'd be curious where the $10 bearings are made, could be China like a lot of others, just marked up.
I've been running import bearings in my 14" contact wheel for a pretty long time now and their still good.

The $10 (actually $9.08) one from McMaster-Carr is made in Japan.

Back