Bell Dirk

keithlen

Close to finishing this up, hopefully tomorrow. Forged from an old pry bar, 14" o.a.l. with 9" blade to the bolster. Cow horn tip, as much solid material as I could squeeze out 2.5" wrought fittings. Got to give it some age and a sheath then it will be done. Probably won't get a chance to take pics tomorrow, getting ready for a camping trip. So I thought I'd put up a few quick shots tonight. Hope you all enjoy. Keith

Attachments

• bellf1.jpg
    bellf1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 76
  • bellf2.jpg
    bellf2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 62
  • bellf3.jpg
    bellf3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 62
  • bellf4.jpg
    bellf4.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 68
The Samuel Bell dirks are beautiful things. I especially like the one you have made here. Your handle size and line matches the blade perfectly.

Your thread title drew me in, to take a look and I am pleased I did.

I just completed a large Scottish dirk of 19.5 inches ground from a McCormicks reaper seat spring.

Fred

Thanks Travis, I hand scraped it in. I have an old Craftsman metal lathe that I put a quick change tool post on. I took on of the holders with a carbide cutter and a little oil. Then worked it in. Would have been easier on a mill but I enjoy the hand work. Less chance of scrapping a piece.

Thanks guys, I did a center seam with a tooled diamond pattern on it. Took it up to Friendship NMLRA shoots this week. A lady I met wanted it so I no longer have it. But it did help me get a new forge and anvil. I wish I had taken pictures of the finished package, but did not. Keith

Back